Linear algebra with with unknown coefficientt for parabola

In summary, the task is to find the numbers a0, a1, and a2 so that the parabola y = a0 + a1x + a2x^2 goes through the points (2,-3), (9,4), and (t,4) for any value of t. The approach taken is to set up a system of linear equations using the given points and then solve for a0, a1, and a2. The process of solving for a2 in terms of t is described, with the final step being to find a0 and a1 in terms of t.
Basheesh

Homework Statement

Find the numbers a0, a1 and a2 so that the parabola with the equation:

y = a0 + a1 x + a2 x2

Goes through the points:
(2, −3), (9, 4), and (t, 4)

For any value of t, specify the amount of solutions

Homework Equations

y = a0 + a1 x + a2 x2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting this up as a system of linear equations:

a0 + 2a1 + 4a2 = -3
a0 + 9a1 + 81a2 = 4
a0 + ta1 + t2a2 = 4

Solving for the 2 uppermost equations I get:

a0 = 18a2 - 5
a1 = -11a2 + 1

plugging these into the 3rd equation, I get:

18a2 -5 + t(11a2 +1) + a2t2

Which I can simplify to:

t = (9 - 18a2) / (11a2 + 1 0 a2t)

But I am then unsure of where to go from there, or whether this is even the correct approach to take.

Ps. Sorry if this is a little messy, I am new to the forum and unsure of how to correctly format the math.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good start. Instead of trying to solve for t, solve for a2 in terms of t. Then you can find a0 and a1 in terms of t.

Related to Linear algebra with with unknown coefficientt for parabola

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces.

2. What are coefficients in linear algebra?

Coefficients in linear algebra refer to the numerical values that are multiplied by the variables in a linear equation. These coefficients determine the slope and intercept of a line or the shape and position of a curve.

3. How are unknown coefficients used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, unknown coefficients are used to represent variables in equations. This allows for the manipulation and solving of these equations to find the values of the unknown coefficients.

4. What is a parabola in linear algebra?

A parabola in linear algebra is a U-shaped curve that can be represented with a quadratic equation. It is a type of conic section and is commonly used to model various real-life phenomena.

5. How are unknown coefficients used to solve for a parabola in linear algebra?

To solve for a parabola in linear algebra, unknown coefficients are used to represent the variables in the quadratic equation. These equations can then be manipulated and solved to find the values of the unknown coefficients, which determine the shape and position of the parabola.