Linear Combinations: Solving for 4th Vector with 3 Vectors

In summary, the conversation is about checking if a given vector can be expressed as a linear combination of three other vectors. The method used is Gaussian elimination and the result is that the vector can be expressed as a linear combination if there exist specific values for \alpha, \beta, and \gamma.
HelpMeh
Hi

If i have 3 4x1 matrices and i want to check if i can express a 4th matrix as the linear combination of the first 3.

my 3 vectors:

1 7 -2
4 10 1
2 -4 5
-3 -1 -4

can this vector be expressed a linear combination of the first 3:

my attempt:

i made a big matrix out of them:

1 7 -2 c1 54
4 10 1 c2 0
2 -4 5 c3 -108
-3 -1 -4 c4 78

i do gaussian elimination:

1 0 1.5 -30
0 1 -.5 12

or

c1 + 1.5c2 = -30
c2 - .5c3

not sure what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
So your vector is a linear combination if and only if there exists [itex]\alpha,\beta,\gamma\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that

[tex]\left\{
\begin{array}{l}
\alpha + 7\beta -2\gamma = 54\\
4\alpha+ 10\beta +\gamma = 0\\
2\alpha -4\beta +5\gamma= -108\\
-3\alpha-\beta -4\gamma = 78
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

Due to Gaussian elimination (which I did not check) you reduced this question. That is: the vector is a linear combination if and only if there exists [itex]\alpha,\beta,\gamma\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that

[tex]\left\{
\begin{array}{l}
\alpha +1.5\gamma= -30\\
\beta -.5\gamma = 12
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

Can you find a suitable [itex]\alpha,\beta,\gamma[/itex] now?? Just put [itex]\gamma=1[/itex] and see what the [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are.

What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation where two or more vectors are added or subtracted to create a new vector. It is commonly used in vector algebra and is a fundamental concept in linear algebra.

How do you solve for a 4th vector using 3 given vectors?

To solve for a 4th vector using 3 given vectors, you can use the linear combination method. This involves setting up a system of equations where the coefficients of the given vectors are multiplied by unknown variables. By solving for these variables, you can find the components of the 4th vector.

What are the requirements for a linear combination to exist?

A linear combination exists when the given vectors are in the same vector space and are linearly independent. This means that none of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. If these conditions are met, a unique solution for the 4th vector can be found.

Can a linear combination have more than one solution?

No, a linear combination can only have one unique solution. This is because the coefficients of the given vectors are fixed and cannot be altered, so there is only one way to combine them to create the 4th vector.

Are there real-world applications of linear combinations?

Yes, linear combinations have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, linear combinations are used to calculate forces and velocities in multiple dimensions. In economics, they are used to calculate cost and revenue projections.