Linear Algebra- Dependent or independent

In summary, linear dependence and independence are concepts in linear algebra that describe the relationship between vectors in a vector space. A set of vectors is linearly dependent if at least one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the others, while a set is linearly independent if none of the vectors can be expressed in this way. The determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors can be used to determine if a set is linearly dependent or independent. These concepts are important in understanding the basis and dimension of a vector space, and can affect the number of solutions to a system of linear equations. A set of vectors cannot be both linearly dependent and independent, but a subset may be dependent while the entire set is independent.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

Let(v1, v2, v3) be three linearly independent vectors in a vector space V. Is the set {v1-v2, v2-v3, v3-v1} linearly dependent or independent?

Homework Equations

Linearly independent is when c1v1+c2v2+...+ckvk=0
and c1=c2=...ck=0

The Attempt at a Solution

c1(v1-v2)+ c2(v2-v3)+ c3(v3-v1)=0

c1-c3=0
-c1+c2=0
-c2+c3=0

therefore c1=c2=c3 and since c1, c2 and c3 are zero because for the first set of independent vectors I got c1v1+c2v2+c3v3=0 all c1=c2=c3=0,
which means this is the case for the second set and it must be linearly independent.

This is what i got but my answer key says the second set is linearly dependent. I'm having trouble seeing why.
Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
MozAngeles said:

Homework Statement

Let(v1, v2, v3) be three linearly independent vectors in a vector space V. Is the set {v1-v2, v2-v3, v3-v1} linearly dependent or independent?

Homework Equations

Linearly independent is when c1v1+c2v2+...+ckvk=0
and c1=c2=...ck=0

The Attempt at a Solution

c1(v1-v2)+ c2(v2-v3)+ c3(v3-v1)=0

c1-c3=0
-c1+c2=0
-c2+c3=0

therefore c1=c2=c3 and since c1, c2 and c3 are zero because for the first set of independent vectors I got c1v1+c2v2+c3v3=0 all c1=c2=c3=0,
which means this is the case for the second set and it must be linearly independent.

This is what i got but my answer key says the second set is linearly dependent. I'm having trouble seeing why.
Thanks for any help
Can you explain in detail how you concluded from c1=c2=c3 that c1, c2 and c3 are zero?

Samy_A said:
Can you explain in detail how you concluded from c1=c2=c3 that c1, c2 and c3 are zero?

from my set of equations i concluded that c1=c2=c3. So then I had made the assumption that c1=c2=c3 was zero because from the given set v1, v2, v3 being linearly indepedent, which would mean that c1v1+c2v2+c3v3=0 must have c1=c2=c3 from the definition of linear dependence. I assumed they were the same constants, is this wrong to assume?

MozAngeles said:
from my set of equations i concluded that c1=c2=c3. So then I had made the assumption that c1=c2=c3 was zero because from the given set v1, v2, v3 being linearly indepedent, which would mean that c1v1+c2v2+c3v3=0 must have c1=c2=c3 from the definition of linear dependence. I assumed they were the same constants, is this wrong to assume?
##v_1,v_2,v_3## being linearly independent means that if ##d_1v_1+d_2v_2+d_3v_3=0##, then ##d_1=0,d_2=0,d_3=0##.
There is no reason whatsoever to assume that the numbers ##c_1,c_2,c_3## that you chose for the set {##v_1-v_2, v_2-v_3, v_3-v_1##} must also work for ##v_1,v_2,v_3##.

but even still for my set of {v1-v2,v2-v1...} the c1=c2=c3 are all equall and I had set my equations to equal zero, then the only way this will be true is if they all equal zero, right?

MozAngeles said:
but even still for my set of {v1-v2,v2-v1...} the c1=c2=c3 are all equall and I had set my equations to equal zero, then the only way this will be true is if they all equal zero, right?
Why? All you found is that ##c_1=c_2=c_3##.
That seems sufficient to have ##c_1(v_1-v_2)+c_2(v_2-v_3)+c_3(v_3-v_1)=0##.

Ok, I'm seeing it clearer now. Thank you

Samy_A said:
##v_1,v_2,v_3## being linearly independent means that if ##d_1v_1+d_2v_2+d_3v_3=0##, then ##d_1=0,d_2=0,d_3=0##.
I would add that because the vectors are linearly independent, there can be no other solutions for the constants ##d_1, d_2,## and ##d_3##.

If the three vectors were linearly dependent, the equation ##d_1v_1+d_2v_2+d_3v_3=0## would have an infinite number of solutions for the constants, including ##d_1=0,d_2=0,d_3=0##. This is a fine point that often eludes new students of linear algebra.

Likes MozAngeles

1. What is the definition of linear dependence and independence?

Linear dependence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space where at least one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors. In other words, one vector is a linear combination of the others. On the other hand, linear independence is when none of the vectors in a set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent or independent?

A set of vectors is linearly dependent if the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors is equal to zero. If the determinant is not equal to zero, then the set is linearly independent.

3. What is the significance of linear dependence and independence in linear algebra?

Linear dependence and independence are important concepts in linear algebra because they help us understand the relationship between vectors in a vector space. They also help us determine the basis and dimension of a vector space, which are crucial in solving systems of linear equations and other applications in mathematics and science.

4. Can a set of vectors be both linearly dependent and independent?

No, a set of vectors cannot be both linearly dependent and independent. A set can only be one or the other. However, it is possible for a subset of a set to be linearly dependent while the entire set is linearly independent.

5. How does linear dependence or independence affect the solution of a system of linear equations?

If a set of vectors is linearly dependent, then the system of linear equations may have infinitely many solutions or no solutions. On the other hand, if the set is linearly independent, then the system of linear equations will have a unique solution.