Linear Independence of functions

In summary: We have three linear equations in two unknowns. That means we will get a non-trivial solution for ##a,b## which means the functions are not linearly independent.If we can find a way to pick numbers other than 1, we might get lucky and make one of the terms vanish leaving us with no solution (except the trivial one of course).So let's try
srfriggen

Homework Statement

This is from Serge Lang's "Linear Algebra, 3rd Edition", page 15.

Consider the vector space of all functions of a variable t. Show that the following pairs of functions are linearly independent:

(a) 1,t

(b) t, t2

(c) t, 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to DO the problems and attain the correct results, but I don't understand WHY it works. Looking for some insight please.

For example, for part (b) my answer would be to set up an equation with two numbers a and b:

at + bt2=0.

I would first set t = 1 which shows a+b=0.

Then I would set t =-1, showing a=b, therefore a=b=0, showing the two functions cannot be written as linear combinations of one another.

Thanks in advance. Trying to learn this on my own so don't have a teacher to reach out to.

Physics news on Phys.org
srfriggen said:

Homework Statement

This is from Serge Lang's "Linear Algebra, 3rd Edition", page 15.

Consider the vector space of all functions of a variable t. Show that the following pairs of functions are linearly independent:

(a) 1,t

(b) t, t2

(c) t, 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to DO the problems and attain the correct results, but I don't understand WHY it works. Looking for some insight please.

For example, for part (b) my answer would be to set up an equation with two numbers a and b:

at + bt2=0.

I would first set t = 1 which shows a+b=0.

Then I would set t =-1, showing a=b, therefore a=b=0, showing the two functions cannot be written as linear combinations of one another.
What I think you might be missing is that the equation with the linear combinations of the functions has to be identically true. For your example, the equation at + bt2 = 0 has to be true for all values of t. The equation is not a conditional equation that is true only for certain values of t.

Mark44 said:
What I think you might be missing is that the equation with the linear combinations of the functions has to be identically true. For your example, the equation at + bt2 = 0 has to be true for all values of t. The equation is not a conditional equation that is true only for certain values of t.

I do believe that is what I was missing...

So that is why I am allowed to choose any value of t to manipulate the equation?If it was helpful to the solution, would I be allowed to take the derivative of that equation?

For example:

If I took the 2nd derivative of at+bt2=0 I would obtain b=0.

Then, choosing t=-1 obtains a=b=0, hence Linearly Independent?What was in the problem statement where you knew the equation I set up would not be dependent on t?

srfriggen said:

So that is why I am allowed to choose any value of t to manipulate the equation?
Yes.
srfriggen said:
If it was helpful to the solution, would I be allowed to take the derivative of that equation?
Sure. If two quantities are equal, then so are their derivatives.
srfriggen said:
For example:

Then, choosing t=-1 obtains a=b=0, hence Linearly Independent?
Yes.
srfriggen said:
What was in the problem statement where you knew the equation I set up would not be dependent on t?
The fact that you were checking linear independence of a pair of functions.

A set of vectors is linearly independent if for any vector, [itex] v_i [/itex], in the set of vectors, [itex] \{ v_1, v_2, ..., v_n \} [/itex], it cannot be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. So what this means is that if

[tex] v_i = c_1 v_1 + ... c_{i-1} v_{i-1} + c_{i+1} v_{i+1} + ... + c_n v_n [/tex]

(where all of the c's are simple numbers, ie scalars) then the set of vectors, [itex] \{ v_1, v_2, ..., v_n \} [/itex], is linearly DEPENDENT. A quick example. Given the set of vectors [itex] \{ (1), (1+t), (2t) \} [/itex], then we can see that set is linearly dependent because

[tex] 1 = 1*(1+t) + (-\frac{1}{2})*(2t) [/tex]

ie, we can write one of the vectors in terms of all the OTHER vectors. This is what it means to be linearly dependent. If we cannot do this, the set is said to be linearly INDEPENDENT.

Hope this was helpful.

srfriggen said:

So that is why I am allowed to choose any value of t to manipulate the equation?

If it was helpful to the solution, would I be allowed to take the derivative of that equation?

For example:

Then, choosing t=-1 obtains a=b=0, hence Linearly Independent?

What was in the problem statement where you knew the equation I set up would not be dependent on t?

You almost had the concept, but maybe you did not recognize it in full strength; after all, you DID first put t = 1 then put t = -1 to conclude that a = b = 0. When you did that you _were_ recognizing that you were allowed to use different values of t.

As to the intuition: if you want to show, for example, that 1, t, t^2 are linearly independent you need to show that the only coefficients a, b and c that give f(t) = a*t^2 + b*t + c = 0 _identically_ are a = b = c = 0. Think of it this way: if you think of drawing the graph y = f(t) = a*t^2 + b*t + c, you want to get a straight line along the t-axis (that is, y = 0 identically). As you said, that means that the first and second derivatives are also 0 identically. Putting t = 0 in f(t) = 0 gives you c = 0; putting t = 0 in f'(t) = 2*a*t + b = 0 gives b = 0; then f ''(t) = 2*a = 0 gives a = 0.

RGV

Let me pile on. :wink:

Remember you're working in the vector space of functions. The linear combination ##at+bt^2## is another element of the vector space. That is, it's another function. When you wrote ##at+bt^2=0##, the zero on the righthand side can't simply be the scalar 0 because the scalar 0 isn't an element of the vector space. Rather, the 0 on the righthand side actually denotes the function 0 that maps all values of t to 0, e.g. 0(t)=0. This is the reason why the equation has to hold for any value of t.

Related to Linear Independence of functions

What is the concept of linear independence of functions?

Linear independence of functions refers to a mathematical concept where a set of functions are considered independent if none of them can be expressed as a linear combination of the other functions. In other words, the functions in the set do not have any dependence on each other and are unique in their contributions to the overall function.

Why is linear independence of functions important?

Linear independence of functions is important in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for the construction of more complex functions by combining simpler independent functions. It also helps in solving systems of equations and understanding the behavior of functions.

How can you determine if a set of functions are linearly independent?

To determine if a set of functions are linearly independent, you can use the Wronskian determinant. If the Wronskian of the functions is non-zero at a particular point, then the functions are linearly independent at that point. You can also use the definition of linear independence to check if a set of functions are linearly independent or not.

What is the difference between linear independence and orthogonality of functions?

Linear independence and orthogonality of functions are two different concepts. Linear independence refers to the lack of dependence between functions, while orthogonality refers to the perpendicularity of two functions. In other words, two functions are orthogonal if their inner product is equal to zero. Linear independence does not necessarily imply orthogonality, and vice versa.

Can a set of functions be linearly independent in one interval and linearly dependent in another?

Yes, a set of functions can have different levels of linear independence in different intervals. For example, a set of trigonometric functions may be linearly independent in one interval, but when extended to a larger interval, they may become linearly dependent. It is important to consider the interval in which the functions are being evaluated when determining their linear independence.