Linear Quadratic Regulator (Optimal Controller Design)

In summary, when designing a controller using the optimal method, you need to define your desired performance criteria and use the weight matrices Q and R to reflect these criteria. Optimal control and pole placement are two different methods of controller design that can be used together to achieve the desired response characteristics of a system.
preet
This is a general question. When using the optimal method to design a controller, specifically a linear quadratic regulator, you usually have a state-space representation of a system, and a cost function to minimize.

The cost function usually takes the (quadratic) form:
199bb05a001f5356f01c371f3bc97d78.png

I don't understand how you choose the weight matrices Q and R to minimize or optimize your system. For example, say my single order state space system's input (u) is force, and the output (y) is speed. Further, I can make y=x, my state variable. So would a reasonable goal be to achieve minimal force and maximum speed? How do I choose Q and R to reflect this?

Also, I'm trying to tie all of this in with another method of controller design -- pole placement. I understand pole placement because I'm directly 'designing' the desired response characteristics of my system's behaviour. I don't really get optimal control in this sense. Is optimal control a 'final' step, after pole placement? Or do I use my original system and find Q and R to get desired behaviour?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to choose the weight matrices Q and R, you need to define your desired performance criteria. In this case, it is to achieve minimal force and maximum speed. You can then use the coefficients of the cost function to reflect these criteria. For example, if you want to minimize the force, you can assign a higher weight to the control input u in the cost function. Similarly, if you want to maximize the speed, you can assign a higher weight to the state variable x. This way, you can adjust the weight matrices Q and R to reflect your desired performance criteria. As for the relationship between pole placement and optimal control, they are two different methods of controller design that are used to achieve the same goal of controlling a system's behaviour. Pole placement is more direct as you are directly designing the desired response characteristics of your system by assigning the poles' position in the complex plane. On the other hand, optimal control is more general and uses a cost function to optimize the performance of your system given certain criteria. In some cases, optimal control may be used as the final step after pole placement in order to fine-tune the system's performance. In other cases, optimal control may be used as the first step to get an initial starting point for the controller before pole placement is used to further refine the controller's design.

1. What is a Linear Quadratic Regulator (LQR)?

A Linear Quadratic Regulator, also known as an Optimal Controller, is a control algorithm designed to minimize the cost function of a system subject to linear dynamics and quadratic cost. It is commonly used in control theory to design controllers for linear systems.

2. How does LQR work?

LQR works by using feedback control to adjust the control inputs of a system in order to minimize a cost function. It uses a mathematical model of the system to calculate the optimal control inputs based on the current state of the system and the desired state.

3. What are the benefits of using LQR?

The main benefits of using LQR are improved system performance, robustness against disturbances, and the ability to handle nonlinear and time-varying systems. LQR also provides a systematic approach to controller design and can be easily implemented on a wide range of systems.

4. What are the limitations of LQR?

One of the main limitations of LQR is that it is only applicable to systems with linear dynamics and quadratic cost. It also relies on accurate system models, which can be challenging to obtain in real-world applications. Additionally, LQR does not take into account constraints on the control inputs or outputs of a system.

5. How is LQR different from other control algorithms?

LQR differs from other control algorithms in that it is specifically designed for linear systems with quadratic cost. Other control algorithms, such as PID controllers, may be more suitable for nonlinear or time-varying systems. LQR also uses a different approach to controlling the system, using optimal control theory rather than error-based feedback control.