Linear Simultaneous Eqns - Gauss Elim Problem

In summary, the individual is seeking help with solving a simultaneous equations problem involving a symmetric square matrix. They suggest using row echelon form, but are unsure if there is a better method. They have identified a pattern and attached the problem for reference. A conversation about the significance of a symmetric matrix and its use in finding the inverse is also included.
Fjolvar
Hello, I'm stuck on a simultaneous eqns problem. From what I can see it seems the easiest way would be to get the matrix into row echelon form, but I'm not sure if another way would be better. I can see a pattern here but not sure what it means. I attached the problem to the page. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    588.6 KB · Views: 194
Physics news on Phys.org
Fjolvar said:
Hello, I'm stuck on a simultaneous eqns problem. From what I can see it seems the easiest way would be to get the matrix into row echelon form, but I'm not sure if another way would be better. I can see a pattern here but not sure what it means. I attached the problem to the page. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is a symmetric square matrix, so if it is invertible it satisfies A-1AT = I.

Take a look here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_matrix.

Interesting, how would I use this to solve for the variables X1, X2, X3.. etc?

Fjolvar said:
Interesting, how would I use this to solve for the variables X1, X2, X3.. etc?

So, what you really have is [A|B], where B is the column vector of solutions, right? So when you multiply by the matrix you have by its inverse what you really get is [I|A-1B]. Remember when you right it in the form [A|B], it is really just shorthand saying Ax = B. When A is invertible, you have x = A-1B. Does that make sense?

I do understand how to find X by taking the inverse of A and multiplying by B, however I'm still not quite sure of the significance of this matrix being symmetric. So A = A transpose, does that help us in finding the inverse of A?

Related to Linear Simultaneous Eqns - Gauss Elim Problem

1. What are linear simultaneous equations?

Linear simultaneous equations are a system of equations where each equation is linear, meaning it can be written in the form of y = mx + b. These equations have multiple variables and are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. What is Gauss elimination?

Gauss elimination is a method used to solve linear simultaneous equations. It involves manipulating the equations by adding or subtracting them to eliminate variables and create a system of equations with only one variable. This allows for the solution of each variable to be found.

3. How does Gauss elimination work?

Gauss elimination works by performing row operations on a matrix representation of the system of equations. These operations include multiplying a row by a number, adding a multiple of one row to another, and swapping rows. The goal is to reduce the matrix to a triangular form, making it easier to solve for the variables.

4. What is the purpose of solving linear simultaneous equations?

The purpose of solving linear simultaneous equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This allows for the solution of real-world problems involving multiple variables, such as finding the intersection point of two lines or determining the optimal solution to a system of linear equations.

5. What are some common applications of linear simultaneous equations?

Linear simultaneous equations have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. Some examples include analyzing electrical circuits, modeling chemical reactions, optimizing production processes, and predicting economic trends.