Linear Transformations, Linear Algebra Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a matrix A representing a linear transformation T from ℝ4 to ℝ3, with respect to two bases B and B'. The matrix A is given and the bases are defined by sets of vectors. The conversation then focuses on finding the matrix representation of T for each vector in B, as well as finding a formula for T applied to a generic vector.
raay
Hi can anyone give me some hints with this question thanks

A = \begin{pmatrix} 3 & -2 &1 & 0 \\ 1 & 6 & 2 & 1 \\ -3 & 0 & 7 & 1 \end{pmatrix}

be a matrix for T:ℝ4→ℝ3 relative to the basis

B = {v1, v2, v3, v4} and B'= {w1, w2, w3}

v1 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}
v2 = \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 1 \\ -1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}
v3 = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 4 \\ -1 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}
v4 = \begin{pmatrix} 6 \\ 9 \\ 4 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}
w1 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 8 \\ 8 \end{pmatrix}
w2 = \begin{pmatrix} -7 \\ 8 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}
w3 = \begin{pmatrix} -6 \\ 9 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}

a- Find [T(v_1)]B' , [T(v_2)]B' , [T(v_3)]B' and [T(v_4)]B'.
b- Find T(v1), T(v2), T(v3) and T(v4).
c- Find a formula for T( \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4 \end{pmatrix} )

Attempt solution for part (a)
[T(v)]B' = [T]B→B' × [v]B
If this is right I don't know how to use it.
Also i tried drawing a diagram but i think i have to use the diagram to find a formula for T in part (c).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
raay said:
Attempt solution for part (a)
[T(v)]B' = [T]B→B' × [v]B
If this is right I don't know how to use it.
If I understand your notation correctly, it's correct. I would write ##[Tv]_{B'}=[T]_{B',B}[v]_B##. The right-hand side is the product of two matrices, so the next step should be to multiply the matrices.

Fredrik said:
If I understand your notation correctly, it's correct. I would write ##[Tv]_{B'}=[T]_{B',B}[v]_B##. The right-hand side is the product of two matrices, so the next step should be to multiply the matrices.

but how do i get [T]B' ,B ? like [T(v1)]B' ,B I know how to do it with polynomials but I have no idea with matrices.

raay said:
but how do i get [T]B' ,B ? like [T(v1)]B' ,B I know how to do it with polynomials but I have no idea with matrices.
##[T]_{B',B}## is the matrix you included at the start of your post.

Likes raay
Fredrik said:
##[T]_{B',B}## is the matrix you included at the start of your post.
Please can you explain why it is that ? Thanks

There isn't much to explain. By definition ##[T]_{B',B}## denotes the matrix of T with respect to the pair of bases B and B' (B for the domain and B' for the codomain), and that's what you said that A is. So we have ##A=[T]_{B',B}##.

The https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/matrix-representations-of-linear-transformations.694922/ may be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes raay
Oh kkkkkkkkkk got it. Thanks so much.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the vector space operations of addition and scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that maintains the same geometric structure of a vector space.

2. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a linear map?

The terms linear transformation and linear map are often used interchangeably, but some mathematicians make a distinction between the two. A linear map is considered to be a more general term that can refer to transformations between spaces of any dimension, while a linear transformation specifically refers to transformations between vector spaces.

3. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix. The columns of the matrix are the images of the basis vectors in the original vector space. The size of the matrix depends on the dimensions of the two vector spaces involved in the transformation.

4. What is the importance of linear transformations in linear algebra?

Linear transformations are a fundamental concept in linear algebra and are essential for understanding many other concepts in the field. They are used to study vector spaces, solve systems of linear equations, and analyze linear equations and their properties.

5. How are linear transformations applied in real-world situations?

Linear transformations have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and analyze linear systems, analyze data and patterns, and transform coordinates in 3D space. They are also crucial in machine learning and data analysis.