Linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid

In summary: The fluid in the cart is in a hydrostatic state and the cart goes .8m into the page. Chetan uses several equations to attempt to solve the problem, but realizes that his mistake may lie in not accounting for the pressure due to the cart's acceleration. He asks for clarification on how to account for this acceleration and poses several questions about the volume and mass of the water, as well as the forces exerted by the left and right walls when the fluid is not being accelerated.
wahaj

Homework Statement

A cart is acclerating to the right with [itex]a=3m/s^2[/itex]. Fluid is in hydrostatic state. Find the force on the back wall. Cart goes .8m into the page. In the image dotted line is free surface when cart is stationary.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{\nabla P}=\rho (\vec{g} - \vec{a} ) \\
dP = d \vec{R} \bullet \vec{\nabla P} \\
F = \iint P \hat{n} dA [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int_1^2 dP = \int_1^2 d \vec{R} \bullet \vec{\nabla P} \\
\int_1^2 dP = \int_1^2 (dx \hat{i} + dz \hat{k}) \bullet \rho (-g \hat{k} - a \hat{i} ) \\
P_2 - P_1 = - \rho g(z_2 - z_1) - \rho a (x_2 - x_1) \\
P_2 - P_1 = 0-0 = 0 \\
g(z_2 - z_1) = a (x_2 - x_1) \\
x_2 = 2 \ ; \ x_1 = 0 \ ; \ z_2 = 0.5+h \ ; \ z_1 = 0.5-h \\
g(2h) = a(2) \\
h = 3/9.81 = 0.3058 m \\

F = \iint P \hat{n} dA \\
P = -\rho g z + C \\
P= \rho g \ when \ z = 0 \\
\rho g = C \\
P = \rho g (1-z) \\
F = \int_0^.8 \int_0^.8058 \rho g (1-z) \hat{i} dzdy \\
F = 3.776 kN [/tex]
The actual answer is 2.55 kN. I think my mistake lies in me not including the pressure due to the cart accelerating to the right. How would I account for that acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
I uploaded the image. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 414
What is the volume of water being accelerated (it is water, correct?)? What is the mass of water being accelerated? By how much does the force exerted by the left wall have to exceed the force exerted by the right wall in order to accelerate the water at 3 m/s2? What is the force exerted by the left wall when the fluid is not being accelerated? What is the force exerted by the right wall when the fluid is not being accelerated?

Chet

1. What is linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid?

Linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid is a type of fluid that is being subjected to a constant acceleration, resulting in a change in its velocity over time. This can occur in both liquids and gases, and is commonly seen in fluid dynamics experiments.

2. What causes linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid?

Linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid is caused by an external force acting on the fluid, such as gravity or a mechanical force. This force causes the fluid to accelerate and change its velocity over time.

3. How is linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid different from non-accelerating fluid?

The main difference between linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid and non-accelerating fluid is that the former is experiencing a change in velocity over time, while the latter has a constant velocity. Additionally, the pressure within a linearly accelerating fluid will vary with depth, while in a non-accelerating fluid, pressure only varies with depth.

4. What are some real-life applications of linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid?

Some real-life applications of linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid include the study of fluid dynamics in engineering, such as in the design of airplanes and cars. It is also used in hydraulic systems, such as in cranes and lifts, where the fluid is accelerated to lift heavy objects.

5. How is the behavior of linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid mathematically described?

The behavior of linearly accelerating hydrostatic fluid is described by the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of fluid particles. These equations take into account factors such as acceleration, pressure, and viscosity to determine the behavior of the fluid over time.