Moment produced by a fluid of varying density

In summary, the problem involves finding the force, F, acting at the top of a gate that is 2m high and 2m into the page. The gate is hinged at the bottom and the density of fluid varies linearly (1000 kg/m3 at the top and 1600 kg/m3 at the bottom). Using the equation M_s=-\int \int \vec{r} \times \hat{n} \ P dA and the given information, the force F is calculated to be 73.902 kN. However, the correct answer given by the professor is 63.1 kN. It is possible that the professor gave the answer for a different question by mistake.
wahaj

Homework Statement

Find F, the force acting at the top of the gate.
The gate is 2m high and 2m into the page. It is hinged at the bottom (red dot in the diagram)
Density of fluid varies linearly. 1000 kg/m3 at the top and 1600 kg/m3 at the bottom (depth of 4m)

Homework Equations

[tex] M_s=-\int \int \vec{r} \times \hat{n} \ P dA [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My origin is at the red dot. z is positive upwards and x is positive towards the left into the fluids
[tex] \vec{r} \times \hat{n} = z \hat{k} \times \hat{i} = z \hat{j} [/tex]
I'm going to ignore the vector part and also the negative sign of this since I only need the magnitude.
[tex] P= -\rho g z + C \ (negative\ because\ g\ is\ negative) \\
P = 0\ when\ z = 4 \\
0= -4 \rho g + C \\ C = 4 \rho g \\
P = \rho g (4 - z) \\
\rho = 1000 \ when\ z = 4 \ \ \ \rho = 1600 \ when\ z = 0 \\
\rho = mz +b \\
1000 = 4m +b \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 1600 = 0m+b \\
\rho = 1600 - 150z \\
dA = dz dy , \ limits: \ [0,2],[0,2] \\
M = g \int_0^2 \int_0^2 z(1600 - 150z)(4 - z) \ dzdy \\
M = 147.804 kN \\
147.804kN = 2F \\
F = 73.902 kN [/tex]
The actual answer is 63.1 kN. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    735 bytes · Views: 394
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there supposed to be a diagram attached?

I did attach the diagram. I don't know where it went. Let me try again
Edit: There we go

Your calculations check. I can't see how F = 63.1 kN.

That's the answer my professor gave. If I am right that means the professor must have given the answer for a different question by mistake. I will ask him about this when classes start again. Thanks for checking my work, I've been losing my mind trying to find the mistake in my work.

Related to Moment produced by a fluid of varying density

1. What is meant by "moment produced by a fluid of varying density"?

The moment produced by a fluid of varying density refers to the force applied by the fluid on a surface or object due to the differences in density within the fluid. This moment is also known as the hydrostatic moment.

2. How is the moment produced by a fluid of varying density calculated?

The moment produced by a fluid of varying density can be calculated using the formula M = ρgVh, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, V is the volume of the fluid, and h is the distance from the surface to the point where the moment is being calculated.

3. What factors affect the moment produced by a fluid of varying density?

The moment produced by a fluid of varying density is affected by the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distance from the surface to the point where the moment is being calculated. Other factors such as the shape and orientation of the surface or object can also have an impact on the moment.

4. What is the significance of the moment produced by a fluid of varying density?

The moment produced by a fluid of varying density is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics, and naval architecture. It is used to analyze the behavior of fluids and their effects on structures and objects.

5. How can the moment produced by a fluid of varying density be controlled or manipulated?

The moment produced by a fluid of varying density can be controlled or manipulated by changing the density of the fluid, altering the shape or orientation of the surface or object, or by using external forces such as pumps or turbines. This allows for the manipulation of fluid flow and can be used in various applications, such as in pumps and turbines.