Linux for EE Students: Benefits Worth It?

• Thread starter SuperMiguel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, as a Computer Engineering/Computer Science student focused in Programming and Electronics, there are several reasons to continue using Linux. While many engineering companies use Windows for desktop machines, they often use Linux for production machines. Additionally, knowing Linux can also be beneficial for working with MacOS machines, as it is a variant of Unix. As a CS student, using Linux can help with understanding the OS and source code, and even contribute to open source projects. Ultimately, the choice of operating system comes down to personal preference and what works best for you.
SuperMiguel
Been using linux for few years, but it seems like everything runs around Windows... Every(Most? 90%) EE software its made for windows, at my school every professor, software its Windows, most companies use windows... So is there a reason to keep using linux as an Computer Engineering/ Computer Science student?? focused in Programming and Electronics(mostly robotics)

Technology news on Phys.org
many engineering companies ise windows for desktop machines but linux for production machines so its good to know it. Also macs run a variant of unix called MacOS so knowing linux helps you work with these types of machines as well.

Where I work we use a mixture of macs and windows with linux for production and testing.

As you asked for reasons to use linux, I'll only give the upsides. I'm not saying that Linux is all-good, but these are the advantages I can think of:

As a CS student, Linux can help you understand the OS much more (you can rip it apart and build it back). Since you are doing programming, reading and understanding the source code might help you. You can even contribute to some projects/software that you use. I can't comment on the electronics part, though. (But you can search for Linux EE software. We've got many great linux softwares around)

At the end of the day, it is about using what you like. If you feel comfortable with Linux, keep it. As long as you get your work done, it doesn't matter.

P.S. Have you tried Wine?

Related to Linux for EE Students: Benefits Worth It?

1. What is Linux and how is it different from other operating systems?

Linux is a free and open-source operating system that is based on the Unix operating system. It is different from other operating systems, such as Windows or macOS, in that it is completely customizable and can be modified by users to fit their specific needs.

2. What are the benefits of using Linux for EE students?

There are several benefits of using Linux for EE students, including access to a wide range of tools and software specifically designed for electrical engineering, improved security and stability, and the ability to customize the operating system to fit their needs.

3. Is it difficult to learn and use Linux for EE students?

While there may be a learning curve for those who are used to using other operating systems, Linux is generally user-friendly and easy to learn. There are also many online resources and communities available for support and guidance.

4. Can Linux be used for both academic and professional purposes in the field of electrical engineering?

Yes, Linux can be used for both academic and professional purposes in the field of electrical engineering. Many universities and companies use Linux for their computing needs, and there are numerous tools and software available for EE students on Linux.

5. Do I need any special hardware or technical knowledge to use Linux for EE?

No, you do not need any special hardware or technical knowledge to use Linux for EE. Linux can run on a variety of hardware and there are many tutorials and resources available to help beginners get started with using Linux for their EE needs.