LiPo battery peak current burst C rating

In summary, burst C rating refers to the maximum current allowed for 10 seconds in a lipo battery. If higher current is needed for 1 second, it can be done but heat can be a problem. The reason for the question is potential battery explosion. The use of lipo batteries in drones is common and there is a guide available for hobbyists to understand the causes of explosion. The article suggests that a battery with a maximum burst current of 100A may be suitable for a truck that requires a steady current of 65A and 100A for the first 3-4 seconds, with a peak of 150A for the first second.
EnEE
Hi,
as I know the burst C rating usually refers to the max current allowed for 10 seconds.

if I need higher current for 1 second, I can do it?
The heat is the problem here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
EnEE said:
Hi,
as I know the burst C rating usually refers to the max current allowed for 10 seconds.

if I need higher current for 1 second, I can do it?
The heat is the problem here?
Um, why do you ask? Whatcha' makin'?

because lipo battery sometimes explodes...
motors require high current for the first seconds, so I want to know what's cause the battery to explode (and why drones usually use lipo)

I read this article. This is a good example for my question. If the truck need steady current of 65A and 100A for the first 3-4 seconds,
I know that for the first second it draw about 150A.
Can I use battery with Max burst current of 100A?

1. What is a LiPo battery peak current burst C rating?

A LiPo battery peak current burst C rating refers to the maximum amount of current that a LiPo battery can handle for a short burst of time without causing damage to the battery.

2. How is the LiPo battery peak current burst C rating determined?

The LiPo battery peak current burst C rating is determined by multiplying the battery's capacity (in mAh) by its discharge rate (in C). For example, a 1000mAh battery with a 50C discharge rate would have a peak current burst C rating of 50A (1000mAh x 50C = 50A).

3. Why is the LiPo battery peak current burst C rating important?

The LiPo battery peak current burst C rating is important because it determines the maximum amount of current that the battery can safely handle. Exceeding this rating can result in damage to the battery, reduced performance, and even fire or explosion in extreme cases.

4. What factors can affect the LiPo battery peak current burst C rating?

The LiPo battery peak current burst C rating can be affected by several factors, such as the battery's age, temperature, and state of charge. Using the battery beyond its recommended voltage or temperature range can also decrease its peak current burst C rating.

5. How can I ensure that I am using my LiPo battery within its peak current burst C rating?

To ensure that you are using your LiPo battery within its peak current burst C rating, it is important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's instructions and specifications. Use a battery charger and discharge device that are specifically designed for LiPo batteries and avoid overcharging or discharging the battery beyond its recommended levels.