Liquid Cooled Heat Exchanger Verification

In summary, the conversation was about designing a liquid-cooled heat exchanger and determining the point at which the water would need to be replaced or chilled. The system was assumed to have equal thermal input among four tubes, with heat transferred through both conduction and convection. However, the calculated temperature for the water using both methods differed greatly, with conduction alone giving a much higher temperature than conduction and convection together. The speaker was looking for assistance in finding the error in their calculations.
Raddy13
My friend and I are trying to design a simple liquid-cooled heat exchanger and I'm getting some odd results so I wanted to get another set of eyes on my math here. We're running four 1.5m sections of nylon tube in parallel through the heat source, which was a thermal input of 265W. The cooling loop will be supplied by a tank of cold water and pump. As the system runs, the water will gradually warm up, and once the the surface temperature of the nylon tube reaches 305K, we will consider that the point at which the water needs to be replaced/chilled, so I was trying to determine what the cold tank temperature would be at that point.

My assumptions:
*All thermal input is absorbed by the exchanger tube
*Heat is transferred to the water and tube by conduction and convection
*Neglect radiation and contact resistance
*The thermal input is equally divided among the four tubes

Known:
[itex]\dot{V}_{pump}=0.114 L/s[/itex]
[itex]\dot{V}_{tube}=\frac{0.114}{4 tubes}=0.0285 L/s[/itex]
[itex]OD_{tube}=0.953 cm[/itex]
[itex]ID_{tube}=0.699 cm[/itex]
[itex]L_{tube}=1.5m[/itex]
[itex]k_{tube}=0.25 W/m \cdot K[/itex]
[itex]T_H=305K[/itex]
[itex]\dot{Q}_{per tube}=265W/4 tubes=66.25W[/itex]

Using the overall heat transfer equation:
[itex]\dot{Q}=UA\Delta T[/itex]

Where:
[itex]\frac{1}{UA}=\frac{1}{hA_{conv}}+\frac{d}{kA_{cond}}[/itex]

For my convection coefficient, I got the following (check attached document for more complete work):
[itex]Re=2900[/itex]
[itex]Pr=12.56[/itex]
[itex]f=0.046[/itex]
[itex]Nu=26.14[/itex]
[itex]h=10.37 W/m^{2}\cdot K[/itex]
[itex]A_{conv}=\pi (0.699cm)(1.5m)=0.033m^2[/itex]

For the conduction term:
[itex]k_{tube}=0.25 W/m\cdot K[/itex]
[itex]d=r_o - r_i =\frac{0.953cm-0.699cm}{2}=0.127cm[/itex]
[itex]A_{cond}=\pi (0.953cm)(1.5m)=0.045m^2[/itex]

Plugging it in:
[itex]\frac{1}{UA}=\frac{1}{(10.37)(0.033)} + \frac{0.127cm}{(0.25)(0.045)}=3.035[/itex]
[itex]UA=0.33W/K[/itex]

Substituting into the heat transfer equation:
[itex]66.25W=(0.33W/K)\Delta T[/itex]
[itex]\Delta T = 200.8K[/itex]
[itex]200.8K=T_H - T_C=305K-T_C[/itex]
[itex]T_C=104.2K[/itex]

Obviously a ridiculously low temperature. I thought that was odd, so I checked how much heat could be handled by conduction alone:
[itex]\dot{Q}=k\frac{2\pi L\Delta T}{ln(r_o/r_i)}[/itex]
[itex]66.25W=(0.25 W/m\cdot K)\frac{2\pi (1.5m)\Delta T}{ln(0.477/0.350)}=\frac{2.36\Delta T}{0.309}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta T=\frac{(66.25)(0.309)}{2.36}=8.67K[/itex]

So according to conduction alone, the system will be effective until the water is 296K, but with conduction AND convection, it's only good until the water is 104.2K, which would be ice. Any idea where I'm screwing up?

Attachments

• thermal regulation suit RevA.pdf
    220.7 KB · Views: 286
Engineering news on Phys.org
Raddy13 said:
... I thought that was odd, so I checked how much heat could be handled by conduction alone:
[itex]\dot{Q}=k\frac{2\pi L\Delta T}{ln(r_o/r_i)}[/itex]
[itex]66.25W=(0.25 W/m\cdot K)\frac{2\pi (1.5m)\Delta T}{ln(0.477/0.350)}=\frac{2.36\Delta T}{0.309}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta T=\frac{(66.25)(0.309)}{2.36}=8.67K[/itex]

So according to conduction alone, the system will be effective until the water is 296K, but with conduction AND convection, it's only good until the water is 104.2K, which would be ice. Any idea where I'm screwing up?

The gives you the temperature ( 296K ) of the inner surface of the tube, not the water temp.

1. What is a liquid cooled heat exchanger?

A liquid cooled heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from a liquid to another fluid, typically air or water. It is commonly used in industrial and automotive applications to cool down hot liquids or gases.

2. How does a liquid cooled heat exchanger work?

A liquid cooled heat exchanger works by passing a liquid, usually water or coolant, through a series of tubes or pipes. The hot liquid or gas to be cooled is then circulated around the tubes, transferring heat to the cooler liquid. The cooled liquid is then returned to the system to continue the cooling process.

3. Why is verification important for liquid cooled heat exchangers?

Verification ensures that a liquid cooled heat exchanger is designed and functioning correctly, and that it is able to meet the specified cooling requirements. This is important for ensuring efficiency, reliability, and safety in industrial and automotive applications.

4. What methods are used to verify a liquid cooled heat exchanger?

There are several methods that can be used to verify a liquid cooled heat exchanger, including computer simulations, laboratory testing, and field testing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the appropriate method will depend on the specific application and requirements.

5. What factors should be considered in the verification process?

When verifying a liquid cooled heat exchanger, factors such as heat transfer rate, pressure drop, fluid flow rate, and material compatibility should be considered. Additionally, the design and construction of the heat exchanger, as well as the operating conditions and environment, should also be taken into account.