Live stream a computer webcam and embed into website?

In summary, the best way to stream a live video feed from a webcam connected to a small computer such as a raspberry pi is by using the RPi-Cam-Web-Interface. This lightweight solution allows you to capture and stream the video across the network and embed it into a website. It uses the Pi itself to host the web page, making it a direct solution without the need for streaming services.
laserzap
Hello, I'm trying to figure out the best way to stream a live video feed from a webcam connected to a small computer such as a raspberry pi. Preferably the most lightweight solution to capture and stream the video across the network so it can be embedded into a website.

I'm trying to use the most direct solution, so I would prefer not to stream it through services. Most IP camera's live video feed can be embedded into a website by using their IP address as the source of an <iframe>. What kind of software/hardware do those devices use?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
This is not the best place to ask this. I would suggest using google to find a tutorial on it.

1. What is live streaming and how does it work?

Live streaming is the process of broadcasting real-time audio and video content over the internet. It works by using specialized software or hardware to capture and encode the video and audio data from a source, such as a computer webcam, and then transmitting it over a network to a streaming server. The server then distributes the content to viewers through a web player or other streaming platform.

2. How can I embed a live stream from a computer webcam into my website?

To embed a live stream from a computer webcam into a website, you will need to use a streaming platform or software that provides an embed code. This code can then be copied and pasted into the HTML code of your website, allowing the live stream to be displayed on your webpage. Some popular streaming platforms that offer embed codes include YouTube, Twitch, and Vimeo.

3. Is it possible to have multiple live streams on the same website?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple live streams on the same website. This can be achieved by using a streaming platform or software that supports multiple streams or by using different embed codes for each live stream. However, having multiple live streams may require more bandwidth and may affect the overall performance of your website.

4. What are the hardware and software requirements for live streaming a computer webcam?

The hardware and software requirements for live streaming a computer webcam may vary depending on the streaming platform or software you are using. Generally, you will need a computer with a webcam, a stable internet connection, and a streaming software or platform. Some streaming platforms may also require additional equipment, such as a capture card or encoder, to improve the quality of your live stream.

5. Can I control who can view my live stream on my website?

Yes, you can control who can view your live stream on your website by using privacy settings on your streaming platform or software. These settings allow you to restrict access to your live stream to specific viewers or make it publicly available. You can also use password protection or embed restrictions to limit the access to your live stream on your website.