Software to adjust exposure? webcam, astrophotography

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for software to adjust exposure for live streaming video from a webcam in order to take images of planets. Suggestions are made for ManyCam and SplitCam, but it is mentioned that they may not fully meet the needs. The individual discovers that their webcam has its own software for adjusting brightness, which can also control exposure. It is suggested to explore other settings for more control. Additionally, the use of the OpenCV API to program the webcam is mentioned, as the individual plans on building a telescope with a camera.
kolleamm
I'd like to use a webcam and take images of the planets directly from my computer but I can't seem to find a software though that let's me adjust the exposure for the live video while it's streaming.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You could try ManyCam or SplitCam. Neither are made for what you're wanting to do, but ManyCam will allow you to adjust contrast, lighting, and a few other items. It might help, but may not. Good luck!

Likes kolleamm
Thanks for the advice! Turns out my cam does have it's own software that allows you to adjust brightness, which apparently means exposure. I tested it out on my lamp and it worked. Not sure why it's called brightness and not exposure.

Likes elusiveshame
You may want to look harder for other settings. Brightness may not be exposure.

Your avatar is a circuit board... can you program?

You can use the OpenCV API to talk to your camera and tell it to do whatever you want. I'm planning on building a telescope with a camera soon, I've always planned on writing my own software for it.

1. What is software to adjust exposure?

Software to adjust exposure is a type of computer program that allows users to manipulate the brightness and contrast levels of images or videos. This can be useful in various fields such as photography, videography, and astrophotography.

2. How does software to adjust exposure work?

Software to adjust exposure works by analyzing the pixels in an image or video and adjusting their brightness and contrast values. This can be done manually by the user, or automatically through algorithms that detect and adjust areas of over or underexposure.

3. Can software to adjust exposure improve the quality of my webcam images?

Yes, software to adjust exposure can improve the quality of webcam images by correcting any over or underexposed areas and enhancing the overall brightness and contrast of the image. This can result in clearer and more detailed images.

4. Is software to adjust exposure necessary for astrophotography?

While not absolutely necessary, software to adjust exposure can greatly enhance the quality of astrophotography images. It can help bring out details in faint objects and reduce noise in the image, resulting in more accurate and visually appealing photographs.

5. Are there any free software options for adjusting exposure?

Yes, there are many free software options available for adjusting exposure, such as GIMP, Darktable, and RawTherapee. These programs offer a wide range of features and can be a great option for those on a budget or just starting out in photography and astrophotography.