Load- Line Analysis of Diode

In summary: If you change the resistance of the resistor, you will move the operating point to a different point on the load line.
kenef

Homework Statement

Determining the best resistance for my simple circuit consisting of a diode, battery, and resistor. Doing this using Load- Line Analysis

Homework Equations

ID = VD - V / R - Given by KVL[/B]

image014.png
(I can disregard n-pretend )

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
IMG_0817.jpg

Here I have attempted using a 1KΩ resistor, obviously too small because I have a voltage drop of about 8.2V across the resistor so then there should be a drop of approx. 1.8 V across the diode. However using the diode equation this gives me way too large of a current.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that your sketch of ## I=I_0 (exp^{eV/(n k_b T)}-1) ## is real accurate. Otherwise your load line looks close to correct. The ## I_0 =1 E-12 ## is only an estimate. Did you compute the exponential with ## e=1.602 E-19 ##, ## k_b=1.381 E-23 ##, and ## T=300 ## with ## V=.7 ##? And n=2? The diode equation is only an estimate, but I think experimentally you are likely to get close to I=9 mA with ## R=1 k \Omega ##. I think the ## V_{on}=.7 \, Volts ## for a silicon diode is a pretty good number.

Dear Charles, yes I did compute it with all of those values, however the computation I perform with a 1KΩ gives me a current that is too high for my diode, thus I know that I need a resistor with higher resistance. I will attempt to use the online DESMO software and see what that will give me. Should be a tad bit more accurate with the graph. From my work though is it accurate the steps I took to determine the load line? I am simply asking because this is what I THINK is correct, but this is also my first type encountering such a load - line problem.

Thanks!

kenef said:
Dear Charles, yes I did compute it with all of those values, however the computation I perform with a 1KΩ gives me a current that is too high for my diode, thus I know that I need a resistor with higher resistance. I will attempt to use the online DESMO software and see what that will give me. Should be a tad bit more accurate with the graph. From my work though is it accurate the steps I took to determine the load line? I am simply asking because this is what I THINK is correct, but this is also my first type encountering such a load - line problem.

Thanks!
You did it correctly. The load line is very useful also in cases where the DC voltage varies for constant resistance. In that case the x-intercept (Voltage of the voltage source) will vary with the entire load line moving in the horizontal direction. Every so often I have encountered problems that use the load line method to solve them. ## \\ ## For your diode current, I do think if you use ## V_{Diode}=.7 ## and compute current ## I=(V_0-.7)/R ## it will give you a fairly accurate answer without the load line method. I googled the Schockley diode equation, and they did not give a precise value for ## I_0 ## or n. I think you can get considerable variation in these parameters from one diode to another. ## \\ ## Just an additional item about the load line method: You begin with a graph of your working component, in this case ## I=I(V_{Diode}) ## i.e. of ## I ## vs. ## V_{Diode} ##. In a series circuit(It only works for the series circuit) you have ## V_0=I R +V_{diode} ##. This equation can be written (solving for ## I=I_{Diode} ) ## as ## I=-(1/R) V_{Diode}+(V_0/R) ## which is a straight line (with ## I=y ## and ## V_{Diode}=x ##) that has slope ## m=-1/R ## and the x-intercept is ## V_0 ##. (Usually you use ## \ ## ## y=mx+b ##, and ## b ## is the y-intercept), but here the x-intercept is important. The intersection of the load line with the graph of ## I=I(V_{Diode}) ## is the operating point.

Last edited:

1. What is load-line analysis of diode?

Load-line analysis of diode is a method used to determine the operating point of a diode in a circuit. It involves plotting the diode's I-V characteristic curve and the load line of the circuit on the same graph, and finding the intersection point which represents the diode's operating point.

2. Why is load-line analysis important?

Load-line analysis is important because it helps in understanding the behavior of a diode in a circuit. It allows us to determine the operating point of the diode, which is crucial in designing and analyzing electronic circuits.

3. How is load-line analysis performed?

Load-line analysis is performed by first obtaining the I-V characteristic curve of the diode and drawing it on a graph. Then, the load line of the circuit is drawn, which represents the relationship between the voltage and current of the circuit. The intersection of the two curves gives the operating point of the diode.

4. What are the assumptions made in load-line analysis?

There are several assumptions made in load-line analysis, including: the diode is ideal (no resistance), the diode is forward biased (positive voltage), and the diode is operating in steady-state (no transient effects).

5. How is load-line analysis used in practical applications?

Load-line analysis is used in practical applications to determine the operating point of a diode in a circuit, which is important for ensuring proper functioning of the circuit. It is also used to calculate the diode's power dissipation and to select appropriate components for the circuit design.