Faulty electricity homework question?

In summary, the question involves finding the current that will flow through a diode and resistor placed in series when a voltage of 4.0 V is applied to the combination. Based on the given I-V characteristics, the diode will have a current of 400mA when the voltage is 2V, and the resistor will have a current of 400mA when the voltage is 2V. This results in a total current of 400mA flowing through the combination.
z.js
Hi,
Hoping someone will be able to help me out with a electricity homework question that sounds a bit unreasonable to me.

Homework Statement

Question 8 (Read the section after Q4 first!)

The I-V characteristics of a diode and a resistor to be used in a simple circuit with a varaible voltage power supply are shown in the graphs.

I have a linear graph for the resistor for which I = 200mA at V = 1 V
I have a graph for the diode for which I = 0 mA at V = 0, I = 20 mA at V = 1, I about 1000mA at V = 2 ... At V = 1.8, the graph is near-vertical.

The question:
The diode and resistor are placed in parallel and a variable voltage applied to them.
a. If a voltage of 4.0 V is applied to the combination, what current will flow through them both?

Homework Equations

Ohm's law, V=IR. Applicable always to Ohmic devices, and applicable to non-Ohmic devices only for constant V or I (R is always changing).

The Attempt at a Solution

If I extrapolate the graph of the I-V characteristic for the diode to V=4, the gradient approaches infinity. Thus the resistance of the diode approaches zero. (R = 1/gradient). Since V = IR, the voltage drop across the diode also approaches zero.

Therefore the effective resistance of the diode-resistor series pair is equal to the resistance of the resistor, 5 ohm.

At 4.0V, I = V/R = 4V/5Ohm = 0.8A = 800mA.

However, the answer states 400mA.

I have attached a photo of the page with the graphs.
If my working is wrong, I would really like to know where I went wrong!
Thanks!
Stephen

Attachments

• IMGP0001.jpg
    IMGP0001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I extrapolate the graph of the I-V characteristic for the diode to V=4, the gradient approaches infinity. Thus the resistance of the diode approaches zero.
Correct so far.

(R = 1/gradient). Since V = IR, the voltage drop across the diode also approaches zero.
Not correct.

Therefore the effective resistance of the diode-resistor series pair is equal to the resistance of the resistor, 5 ohm.
Not correct.

The resister and diode are in parallel.
You described a situation where the diode is conducting - therefore it can be replaced by a short circuit.

Is the connection parallel or series?

From post #1: explicit problem statement:
The question:
The diode and resistor are placed in parallel and a variable voltage applied to them.
... mind you, could be a typo.

Simon Bridge said:
From post #1: explicit problem statement:

... mind you, could be a typo.

I think it is a typo. that's why I asked.

dauto said:
I think it is a typo. that's why I asked.
The question asks:
what current will flow through them both?
That implies it's in series. If in parallel, it should say through "the combination", or somesuch.

Sorry... it was a typo. The diode and resistor are in series, not parallel.
@Simon Bridge:
"(R = 1/gradient). Since V = IR, the voltage drop across the diode also approaches zero."
You said this was incorrect... could you elaborate on that?
"Therefore the effective resistance of the diode-resistor series pair is equal to the resistance of the resistor, 5 ohm."
Is this still wrong?

z.js said:
Sorry... it was a typo. The diode and resistor are in series, not parallel.
@Simon Bridge:
"(R = 1/gradient). Since V = IR, the voltage drop across the diode also approaches zero."
You said this was incorrect... could you elaborate on that?
"Therefore the effective resistance of the diode-resistor series pair is equal to the resistance of the resistor, 5 ohm."
Is this still wrong?

The total drop across the pair is 4V, but you do not know how that is distributed.
Can you think of a way of superimposing the two graphs to represent this?

Likes 1 person
Well, in series, the current is constant across the circuit. So if I can find V for which both graphs have the same I, I guess that would be it... something to chew on... looks like I = 400mA for which both V are approximately equal to 2V!

Thanks guys!

z.js said:
Well, in series, the current is constant across the circuit. So if I can find V for which both graphs have the same I, I guess that would be it... something to chew on... looks like I = 400mA for which both V are approximately equal to 2V!

Thanks guys!
Yes, that looks about right. But I ask again, can you think of a way of superimposing the graphs that would allow you to read the answer straight off?

1. What is a faulty electricity homework question?

A faulty electricity homework question is a question that is incorrect or misleading in its wording or information, making it difficult for students to answer correctly or learn the intended concept.

2. How can I identify a faulty electricity homework question?

To identify a faulty electricity homework question, you should carefully read the question and check for any errors in grammar, spelling, or logic. You can also compare the question to your textbook or class notes to see if the information provided is accurate.

3. What should I do if I encounter a faulty electricity homework question?

If you encounter a faulty electricity homework question, you should first try to identify the error and correct it if possible. If you are unable to do so, you should bring the question to your teacher's attention so they can provide clarification or make necessary changes.

4. How can faulty electricity homework questions impact my learning?

Faulty electricity homework questions can have a negative impact on your learning as they may provide incorrect information or confuse you about a certain concept. This can lead to a misunderstanding of the topic and hinder your ability to perform well on exams or understand related material.

5. How can I avoid creating faulty electricity homework questions?

To avoid creating faulty electricity homework questions, you should carefully review your questions for accuracy and clarity before assigning them to students. You can also ask a colleague or your teacher to review your questions to ensure they are error-free.