Load line of transistor question

In summary, the load line of a transistor is a graphical representation of its operating characteristics. It shows the relationship between the collector current and collector-emitter voltage, and helps determine the operating point of the transistor. The load line is useful in analyzing the performance of a transistor in a circuit and ensuring that it operates within its safe operating region. It also allows for the calculation of the maximum power dissipation and voltage gain of the transistor. Understanding the load line is crucial in designing and troubleshooting transistor circuits.
Outrageous
In order to draw the load line of transistor, we have to find out the saturation current (where the voltage is minimum or zero) and voltage of collector-base when collector current is zero.

In order to calculate maximum saturation current, we have to forward biased the base-emitter, and reverse biased the base -collector and then get the voltage of collector-emitter to be zero(V of collector minus voltage of emitter equals to zero), right??

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think 'we have to forward biased the base-emitter, and reverse biased the base' instead of both forward because when we forward both we can't get a constant curve at saturation region, correct?

the base-emitter junction is always forward biased as long as the transistor is not in full "cut-off" (where the collector current is zero). so, from the POV of the load line, the base-emitter is forward biased, usually by about 0.6 volts.

rbj said:
the base-emitter junction is always forward biased as long as the transistor is not in full "cut-off" (where the collector current is zero). so, from the POV of the load line, the base-emitter is forward biased, usually by about 0.6 volts.

what is POV?
The base-emitter is usually 0.7V.
How to draw a load line?

Outrageous said:
what is POV?
How to draw a load line?

POV = "point of view"

Maybe this will help:

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all there is not one load line for a transistor.

There are many and they depend upon the circuit configuration.

Having said that, for a resistive load the load line is a straight line so you only need to find two points and join them to be able to draw one.

To draw a load line for R ohms on the collector current (y axis) v collector voltage (x axis) curves:

1)Locate the point of the voltage axis corresponding to the supply voltage.

2)Locate the point on the current axis which the supply voltage would drive through R ohms.

3) Join these two points to form the load line for R ohms.

go well

Thank you, understand already.

berkeman said:
Maybe this will help:

Studiot said:
First of all there is not one load line for a transistor.

There are many and they depend upon the circuit configuration.

Having said that, for a resistive load the load line is a straight line so you only need to find two points and join them to be able to draw one.

To draw a load line for R ohms on the collector current (y axis) v collector voltage (x axis) curves:

1)Locate the point of the voltage axis corresponding to the supply voltage.

2)Locate the point on the current axis which the supply voltage would drive through R ohms.

3) Join these two points to form the load line for R ohms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outrageous said:

okay. whatever. from long ago, when i was a graduate teaching assistant (and i was teaching a lab), it was most often 0.6v for silicon.

How to draw a load line?

well, your transistor curve is that of a function [itex]I_c[/itex] as a function of [itex]V_{ce}[/itex] for various [itex]I_b[/itex]. so given an [itex]I_b[/itex], you still don't know what [itex]I_c[/itex] is without also knowing [itex]V_{ce}[/itex]. the load line is another equation that relates [itex]I_c[/itex] and [itex]V_{ce}[/itex]. and that equation comes from the rest of the circuit (assuming no [itex]R_e[/itex]:

[tex] V_{cc} = V_{ce} + I_c R_c [/tex]

or

[tex] I_c = \frac{1}{R_c} ( V_{cc} - V_{ce} ) [/tex]

plotting that equation on top of the transistor curves is your load line.

rbj said:
okay. whatever. from long ago, when i was a graduate teaching assistant (and i was teaching a lab), it was most often 0.6v for silicon.

well, your transistor curve is that of a function [itex]I_c[/itex] as a function of [itex]V_{ce}[/itex] for various [itex]I_b[/itex]. so given an [itex]I_b[/itex], you still don't know what [itex]I_c[/itex] is without also knowing [itex]V_{ce}[/itex]. the load line is another equation that relates [itex]I_c[/itex] and [itex]V_{ce}[/itex]. and that equation comes from the rest of the circuit (assuming no [itex]R_e[/itex]:

[tex] V_{cc} = V_{ce} + I_c R_c [/tex]

or

[tex] I_c = \frac{1}{R_c} ( V_{cc} - V_{ce} ) [/tex]

plotting that equation on top of the transistor curves is your load line.

Understand.
when there is [itex]R_e[/itex] ,we can use the equation in this (transistor load line)
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/loadline.html
But for this case , our Ic=Ib, correct?

What is the load line of a transistor?

The load line of a transistor is a graphical representation of the relationship between the output voltage and current of the transistor. It is used to analyze and design transistor circuits.

Why is the load line important?

The load line is important because it helps determine the operating point of the transistor. This point is where the transistor operates most efficiently and without distortion.

How is the load line drawn?

The load line is drawn by plotting the possible output voltage and current values for the transistor on a graph. These values are determined by the transistor's characteristics and the external circuit components.

What factors affect the load line?

The load line is affected by the transistor's characteristics, such as its gain and saturation current, as well as the external circuit components, such as resistors and power supply voltage.

How is the load line used to design transistor circuits?

The load line is used in conjunction with the transistor's characteristics to determine the proper values for external circuit components. This ensures that the transistor operates at its most efficient and stable point.