Local bending stress calculation in long beams

In summary, the regular/familiar formula for bending stress in a finite/short element does not apply to the local bending stress in a "flange" of a std profile such as UPN/IPN. An example to such calculation I found in elevator's std for "T" rails calculation which express the stress in the "flange" root is \sigma=\frac{1.85F}{c^2}. My question is how to calculate such local bending stress in a "flange" of std profiles such UPN/IPN...and sources/books in the subject. I doubt there's an analytic solution to this, which would be why you have that empirical formula for a special beam section. You could
guideonl
Hi everyone,

Recently I faced a problem in calculating bending stress in a long UPN profile "flange" due to concentrated force.
It seems that the regular/familiar formula for bending stress in a finite/short element does not applicable in local bending of long/infinite beam. See sketch attached for clarification.
An example to such calculation I found in elevator's std for "T" rails calculation which express the stress in the "flange" root:

\sigma=\frac{1.85F}{c^2}

My question is how to calculate such local bending stress in a "flange" of std profiles such UPN/IPN...and sources/books in the subject.

Thank you,
Guideon

Attachments

• long beam bending stress calculation.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 537
Engineering news on Phys.org
My answer to everything - FEA.

But more seriously, I doubt there's an analytic solution to this, which would be why you have that empirical formula for a special beam section. You could get an upper limit to the stress by assuming a beam shorter than the width of the loaded region and use the simple beam equation you did.

guideonl said:
Hi everyone,

Recently I faced a problem in calculating bending stress in a long UPN profile "flange" due to concentrated force.
It seems that the regular/familiar formula for bending stress in a finite/short element does not applicable in local bending of long/infinite beam. See sketch attached for clarification.
An example to such calculation I found in elevator's std for "T" rails calculation which express the stress in the "flange" root:

\sigma=\frac{1.85F}{c^2}

My question is how to calculate such local bending stress in a "flange" of std profiles such UPN/IPN...and sources/books in the subject.

Thank you,
Guideon

Hi Unrest,

Thank you for your reply,
I am afraid that your solution to the problem could be used only for estimation purposes, I am still looking for analitical/empirical solutions.

Guideon

for an infinite length beam could you not treat the area under load as being built in at a distance away from the load? or use a plastic analysis approach with the concept of moving hinge point along an infinite beam..
take cuts at the hinges and treat as beam with imaginary built in ends (ie a couple applied to the ends of the cut)
with a theoretical max. moment generated either at cut (hogging moment) or at point of load (assuming point load applied) to give a sagging moment. then calculate your second moment of area for the section and using the Engineers Equation (M/I)=(Sigma/y) you can calculate sigma over a range of y and draw the stress distribution across the section @ point of maximum bending

I hope at that helps somewhat..

Red jeste,

I am sorry, but I didn't understand your idea at all. May be I didn't clarify myself well, attached sketch may be helpful to clarify your claim.

Thank you
Guideon

Related to Local bending stress calculation in long beams

1. What is local bending stress in long beams?

Local bending stress in long beams refers to the amount of stress that a small section of a long beam experiences when it is subjected to a bending load. It is a measure of the internal forces within the beam that are caused by the applied load.

2. How is local bending stress calculated in long beams?

Local bending stress in long beams is typically calculated using the flexure formula, which takes into account the applied load, the beam's length, and its cross-sectional properties. This formula is based on the fundamental principles of mechanics and can be solved using various mathematical methods.

3. What factors influence local bending stress in long beams?

The magnitude and distribution of the applied load, the length and cross-sectional properties of the beam, and the material properties all influence the local bending stress in long beams. Other factors such as boundary conditions and the beam's orientation can also play a role in determining the stress distribution.

4. How does local bending stress affect the structural integrity of long beams?

High levels of local bending stress can cause deformation, cracking, or failure in long beams. This can compromise the structural integrity of the beam and potentially lead to catastrophic failure. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate and consider local bending stress in the design and analysis of long beams.

5. Are there any safety factors or guidelines for local bending stress in long beams?

Yes, there are safety factors and guidelines that engineers and designers use to ensure the structural integrity of long beams. These include safety factors based on material strength, as well as codes and standards that specify maximum allowable stress levels for different types of beams and loading conditions. It is important to follow these guidelines to ensure the safety and reliability of structures.