Location of the magnetopause using Chapman-Ferraro equation

• I
  • Thread starter Kovac
  • Start date
  • Tags
Kovac
TL;DR Summary
Hello,

Lets say you need to calculate the location of the magnetopause subsolar point on earth and you only have this information:

> Solar wind proton number density: 10 cm−3

> Solar wind speed: 700 km s−1

Chapman_ferraro equations:

What is the difference between the above chapman-ferraro equations? Why does one of them have 2^1/3 in front and one doesnt? What does the "pl" & "E" stand for?

Which one is more applicable to my case scanario?

Attachments

• chapman_ferraro_eq.PNG
    chapman_ferraro_eq.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 40
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It might help to know what source those two equations came from.

My suspicion is that the simple CF equation gives the midday (subsolar) radius, and that the added term of; 2^(1/3) = 1.26; gives the dawn or dusk radius.

Ibix said:
These equations are coming from lecture slides.

Baluncore said:
My suspicion is that the simple CF equation gives the midday (subsolar) radius, and that the added term of; 2^(1/3) = 1.26; gives the dawn or dusk radius.
So if you want realistic values, is it the second equation to be used? Because both give different results

Kovac said:
Because both give different results
They are different because they are applied at different times of the day.
The magnetopause is not a spherical surface with one radius.

Ibix said:
Here are both equations mentioned in the slides.

Attachments

• cfeq.PNG
    cfeq.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 49
Baluncore said:
They are different because they are applied at different times of the day.
The magnetopause is not a spherical surface with one radius.
Alright, could you help me understand what the signs in the denominator stands for.
What is the B in the numerator?
I assume the last term in the denominator is the solar wind velocity, the middle term pressure? And the u0 term is what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetopause

According to this link the p= density of the solar wind, v = velocity, B=magnetic field strength of the planet.
How do I get the μ0? Can I get it through the proton number density?

Kovac said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetopause

According to this link the p= density of the solar wind, v = velocity, B=magnetic field strength of the planet.
How do I get the μ0? Can I get it through the proton number density?
##B_{E}## and ##\mu_{0}## characterize the magnetic properties of the planet. The magnetic field of the Earth can be modeled as a magnetic dipole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_model_of_the_Earth's_magnetic_field), with the value of the field at the Earth's surface along the equator taking the value ##B_{E}=3.12\times10^{-5}\text{ tesla}##. And the magnetic permeability of vacuum, ##\mu_{0}=1.26\times10^{-6}{\rm \ N/A^{2}}##, is a basic constant of electromagnetism.

renormalize said:
##B_{E}## and ##\mu_{0}## characterize the magnetic properties of the planet. The magnetic field of the Earth can be modeled as a magnetic dipole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_model_of_the_Earth's_magnetic_field), with the value of the field at the Earth's surface along the equator taking the value ##B_{E}=3.12\times10^{-5}\text{ tesla}##. And the magnetic permeability of vacuum, ##\mu_{0}=1.26\times10^{-6}{\rm \ N/A^{2}}##, is a basic constant of electromagnetism.
Are you sure about u0? Because it seems it should be 4pi * 10^-7 as it is the magnetic permiability of free space:
http://www.sp.ph.imperial.ac.uk/~mkd/AdvancedOption3solutions.pdf

Attachments

• mu0.PNG
    mu0.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 35
Here are the first 4 pages of chap-8, The Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments.
It defines the CF equation you should use and the variables.

Attachments

• Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments,Chap-8 .pdf
    395.6 KB · Views: 35
Likes Kovac and berkeman
renormalize said:
Try multiplying out ##4\times 3.14159\times 10^{-7}##. What do you get?
Yes correct, my bad!

Likes renormalize
Baluncore said:
Here are the first 4 pages of chap-8, The Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments.
It defines the CF equation you should use and the variables.
So in the equation density p= mass of proton x proton density of the solar wind x 1000 000 (conversion between kgcm^-3 to kgm^-3).
B = M/r^3 where M= magnetic dipole of the planet in question, r= radius of the planet in question.
μ0= 4pi x 10^-7 Vs/Am [magnetic permiability of free space]
u= solar wind velocity.

But I still dont understand why the second equation has 2^1/3 in front? Which one is more correct if you want to calculate for earth?

Kovac said:
But I still dont understand why the second equation has 2^1/3 in front? Which one is more correct if you want to calculate for earth?
In post #7, the lower RHS of your attachment reads, as best as I can OCR;
"Assuming B=0 In the magnetosheath the induced Bmp, must cancel the geomagnetic dipole field in this region. This yields

Bmp = Bdipole(Rmp)

However, just inside the magnetosphere, B will increase the total B to

B = 2⋅Bdipole⋅(Rmp) = 2^(1/3) * ....
"
Do you want the Rmp, or do you want B ?

1. What is the Chapman-Ferraro equation?

The Chapman-Ferraro equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the location of the magnetopause, which is the boundary between the Earth's magnetic field and the solar wind. It takes into account the solar wind dynamic pressure and the Earth's magnetic field strength to determine the position of the magnetopause.

2. How is the Chapman-Ferraro equation used to locate the magnetopause?

The Chapman-Ferraro equation is used to calculate the distance from the Earth to the magnetopause in units of Earth radii. This distance can then be converted to a specific location in space by multiplying it by the Earth's radius. The equation takes into account the pressure of the solar wind and the strength of the Earth's magnetic field to determine the location of the magnetopause.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the Chapman-Ferraro equation?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the Chapman-Ferraro equation, including variations in the solar wind pressure and the Earth's magnetic field strength. Other factors, such as the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field and the presence of other celestial bodies, can also impact the accuracy of the equation.

4. How is the Chapman-Ferraro equation derived?

The Chapman-Ferraro equation is derived from the equations of magnetohydrodynamics, which describe the behavior of plasma in a magnetic field. It was first proposed by Sydney Chapman and Vincenzo Ferraro in the 1930s and has since been refined and expanded upon by other scientists.

5. Can the Chapman-Ferraro equation be used to predict changes in the location of the magnetopause?

Yes, the Chapman-Ferraro equation can be used to predict changes in the location of the magnetopause. By inputting different values for solar wind pressure and Earth's magnetic field strength, scientists can determine how these changes will affect the position of the magnetopause. However, it should be noted that this equation is just one tool used to study the magnetopause and other factors may also impact its location.