Location of the particles when 1.5 periods of a sound wave have passed

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of an answer key diagram for a question about wave compression and rarefaction. It is noted that the bottom row of the diagram shows all 9 particles at t=0, but the top row only shows 7 particles at t=3s. The reason for not including P1 and P9 in the top row may be due to space constraints in printing. However, it is not wrong to draw all 9 particles as long as they are in the correct positions.
ellieee
Homework Statement
draw the positions of the particles for t=3.0s. particles take 2s to complete one full oscillation.
Relevant Equations
compressions and rarefactions
CamScanner 05-04-2021 14.01_6.jpg

qn iv.
I understand that when 1.5 periods pass, every compression will become rarefaction, and every rarefaction will become compression(someone please correct if wrong) but the answer key shows something else.
I'm interpreting the answer key drawing to be 1 compression and 4 rarefactions? someone pls correct me if I am wrong thank you:)

Attachments

• CamScanner 05-06-2021 13.24_2_edit_9348621878260.jpg
    CamScanner 05-06-2021 13.24_2_edit_9348621878260.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 77
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m impressed by the way you have managed to manipulate the first image into a wave-shape, to match the topic. Well done!

Call the 9 particles (left-to-right) P1, P2, … P8 and P9.
This means P5 is what the question just calls ‘P’.

In your answer key diagram, the bottom row shows the t=0 positions of all 9 particles. But the top row (for t=3s) shows only 7 of the 9 particles.

At t=0:
P1, P2 and P3 form a compression;
P4, P5 and P6 form a rarefaction;
P7, P8 and P9 form a compression.

At t=3s (as shown on top row of answer key diagram):
P2 and P3 form part of a rarefaction (P1 is too far left to show on the diagram);
P4, P5 and P6 form a compression;
P7 and P8 form part of a rarefaction (P9 is too far right to show on the diagram).

Edit. Typo' corrected.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
but what's their reason for not showing P9 and P1? if we still draw them out, is it "wrong"?
Steve4Physics said:
I’m impressed by the way you have managed to manipulate the first image into a wave-shape, to match the topic. Well done!

Call the 9 particles (left-to-right) P1, P2, … P8 and P9.
This means P5 is what the question just calls ‘P’.

In your answer key diagram, the bottom row shows the t=0 positions of all 9 particles. But the top row (for t=3s) shows only 7 of the 9 particles.

At t=0:
P1, P2 and P3 form a compression;
P4, P5 and P6 form a rarefaction;
P7, P8 and P9 form a compression.

At t=3s (as shown on top row of answer key diagram):
P2 and P3 form part of a rarefaction (P1 is too far left to show on the diagram);
P4, P5 and P6 form a compression;
P7 and P8 form part of a rarefaction (P9 is too far right to show on the diagram).

Edit. Typo' corrected.

ellieee said:
but what's their reason for not showing P9 and P1? if we still draw them out, is it "wrong"?
I'd guess that including P1 and P9 would make the diagram too wide to fit into the available printing-width.

Ideally, whoever prepared the diagrams should have made them smaller (less wide); then all 9 particles could be included in both the t=0 and t=3s diagrams.

It's not wrong to draw all 9 particles, providing they are in the correct positions. If there were enough space, that's what I'd do.

Likes ellieee

1. What is the location of the particles when 1.5 periods of a sound wave have passed?

The location of the particles when 1.5 periods of a sound wave have passed depends on the type of sound wave and the medium it is traveling through. In a longitudinal sound wave, the particles will be at their maximum displacement from their resting position at 1.5 periods. In a transverse sound wave, the particles will be at their maximum displacement from the equilibrium position at 0.75 periods.

2. How does the location of particles change as a sound wave passes through different mediums?

The location of particles will change as a sound wave passes through different mediums due to the varying density and elasticity of the medium. In denser and more rigid mediums, the particles will experience less displacement compared to less dense and more flexible mediums.

3. Can the location of particles be affected by the frequency of a sound wave?

Yes, the location of particles can be affected by the frequency of a sound wave. Higher frequency sound waves will cause particles to vibrate at a faster rate, resulting in smaller displacements. Lower frequency sound waves will cause particles to vibrate at a slower rate, resulting in larger displacements.

4. How does the amplitude of a sound wave affect the location of particles?

The amplitude of a sound wave directly affects the displacement of particles. A larger amplitude will result in a larger displacement of particles, while a smaller amplitude will result in a smaller displacement of particles. This is because the amplitude represents the maximum displacement of particles from their resting position.

5. Is there a specific formula for determining the location of particles when 1.5 periods of a sound wave have passed?

There is no specific formula for determining the location of particles when 1.5 periods of a sound wave have passed, as it depends on various factors such as the type of sound wave, medium, frequency, and amplitude. However, the general rule is that particles will be at their maximum displacement from their resting position at 1.5 periods in a longitudinal wave and at 0.75 periods in a transverse wave.