Lock Actuator from my Honda CRV

• Electrical
  • Thread starter kiki_danc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Actuator Lock
In summary, the conversation discusses accidentally replacing the rear cargo lock actuator on a 2004 Honda CRV and wanting to test if it is still functioning. The person asks for advice on which terminals supply power to the actuator and mentions concerns about reliability due to potential theft. They also mention contacting Honda for the wiring diagram and finding a similar diagram online. The person then shares their experience with the Honda service department and asks about the internal workings of the actuator and the control unit responsible for it.
kiki_danc
w3kE9i.jpg

I got this honda crv 2004 rear cargo lock actuator accidentally replaced when it was working.. although Honda said it might not be working. So I want to check if it is really working or not. Which of the 5 terminal can move the actuator by suppying with 12 volts DC supply?

I watched a lot of youtube videos, but they are mostly about replacing the actuator.. I want to test it isolated if the arm is still functioning or not.

Attachments

• w3kE9i.jpg
    w3kE9i.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 975
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can get to the connectors on the one they installed, back probe or disconnect each connector to see which pins have 12 volts when being actuated.

kiki_danc said:
So I want to check if it is really working or not. Which of the 5 terminal can move the actuator by suppying with 12 volts DC supply?
You need the part of the wiring diagram for that vehicle that shows this component. You can buy them at auto parts stores or your local Honda dealer, or you may be able to find the schematic by searching online.

kiki_danc said:
rear cargo lock actuator accidentally replaced when it was working.. although Honda said it might not be working.
BTW, did you figure out the problem with your rear door lock? I'm having problems with my rear cargo door on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and had assumed it was just the actuator/solenoid. But if you've found it can be due to something else, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thanks.

berkeman said:
BTW, did you figure out the problem with your rear door lock? I'm having problems with my rear cargo door on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and had assumed it was just the actuator/solenoid. But if you've found it can be due to something else, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thanks.

I remembered I had no problems with the rear cargo lock. But the honda service representative heard me wrong.. I told him to replace my backseat right side.. he thought it was cargo rear.. and replaced the cargo lock. He told me it's not working anyway. So I just want to test if the lock actuator removed is really defective or not.

Many here are mechanical engineers. Maybe they have memorized the pin diagram of this lock actuator? Hope they can tell me which of the 2 powers it because I don't have any access to any wiring diagram.

berkeman said:
I did a Google Images search on 2004 Honda CRV Wiring Diagram, and got lots of hits. Have a look through these to see if you see the part of the diagram for the rear lock actuator/solenoid assembly:

https://www.google.com/search?q=200...g-_zdAhXdGTQIHXupCh0Q_AUIDygC&biw=935&bih=619

I'm searching now. Do you think the gun type actuator lock or the one in honda is more reliable? What's the usual lifetime of this? I'm concerned about my lock failing without me knowing because here in our place.. robbers forcibly enter cars during traffic stealing bags or even babies.

See:

I called up the honda parts and service department. They didn't know the pin assignments.. so I hooked up a 12 volts adapter and tried the terminals.. well.. the left socket with the two terminal is the one connected to the small motor. And it works.. so the Honda service fooled me by saying it's defective when it's not. I spent $60 for it.. so in order not to get into bad mood. I'll take the opportunity for me to be familiar how the whole system works.

I can't find the exact internal diagram for it but here's something similar:

What i'd like to know is.. if the motor keeps running.. what happens exactly to the small white gear inside? And when you lock and unlock the door... does the door circuitry only gives a momentary power to that actuator and it can forward or reverse the polarity? And what is the name of this control unit?

1. What is a lock actuator and what does it do?

A lock actuator is an electronic or mechanical device that controls the locking and unlocking of a car door. It is usually located inside the door and is responsible for moving the door lock mechanism.

2. How do I know if my lock actuator is malfunctioning?

If you are having trouble locking or unlocking your door using the key or remote, or if you hear a clicking sound when trying to lock or unlock the door, it could be a sign of a faulty lock actuator. It is best to have it checked and replaced if necessary by a professional mechanic.

3. Can I replace the lock actuator on my own?

Replacing a lock actuator can be a complicated process and requires knowledge of car mechanics. It is recommended to have it done by a trained professional to avoid causing any further damage to the door or lock mechanism.

4. How often should I replace my lock actuator?

The lifespan of a lock actuator can vary depending on the make and model of your car, as well as how often you use your car doors. It is generally recommended to have it replaced every 5-7 years or if it starts to show signs of malfunctioning.

5. Can a faulty lock actuator affect other functions of my car?

In some cases, a faulty lock actuator can cause issues with other electronic components in your car, such as the alarm system or power windows. It is important to have it checked and replaced if necessary to avoid any further problems.