"LOG IN" but message said "Already logged in"

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the problem with the "LOG IN" link was that it was not working for everyone. It was not just you. The problem was not just me. The problem was not just any one particular machine.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I just logged-in, but at top upper right, link still says, "LOG IN".
If I click browser Refresh button, nothing changes.
If I click the "LOG IN" button, message at top says I am already logged in; I am yet allowed to write and post this message.

Physics news on Phys.org
...and I cannot find the link to edit that post.

.... and I decided, just close the browser and try to log in again.
Same thing.
I am allowed to post a Reply but there is no link to edit.

I currently in Incognito mode of Google Chrome.

Now, am trying through Firefox browser v. 112.0.1.
All the babies I expect to see are present. I can see bell icon alerts with a number "2". Not know yet if there was a problem which was just fixed or if the problem still occurs in Google Chrome (Incognito mode). I'll check back on this later.

Back to using incognito mode of Google Chrome. Those needed nice babies isn't there. MAYBE something is wrong with Google Chrome. I would not know for sure until I either get another update or if I try regular mode Google Chrome.

Chrome (regular mode) and Edge are both affected for me.

jbriggs444 said:
Chrome (regular mode) and Edge are both affected for me.
Yes, at least for regular mode Google Chrome, the links we normally expect not present, and the "USER" in place of "LOG IN" problems are still happening. I'm in reg. mode Chrome right now. No notification alerts bell icon either.
and since I cannot "Log Out", I must just close the browser.

Working fine for me - Firefox on Linux and Android.

Ibix said:
Working fine for me - Firefox on Linux and Android.
nice knowing that. Yes, good on Firefox, but not so good in Google Chrome. (Desktop Windows computer)

symbolipoint said:
nice knowing that.
Indeed, but in this case my main aim was providing data points to assist in diagnosis. So far we have Chrome and Edge under Windows affected, but not Firefox on Windows, Linux or Android.

symbolipoint said:
I just logged-in, but at top upper right, link still says, "LOG IN".
If I click browser Refresh button, nothing changes.
If I click the "LOG IN" button, message at top says I am already logged in; I am yet allowed to write and post this message.
Have you tried clearing your browser cache/data? Nearly always that’s the cure for this sort of problem.

Nugatory said:
Have you tried clearing your browser cache/data? Nearly always that’s the cure for this sort of problem.
No. I have not. But using incognito mode of G. Chrome is supposed(?) to prevent accumulating all that stuff. But while I am again on incognito mode Google Chrome, I see "USER" and the bell icon at upper right side, so this appears to correspond with the problem being fixed, maybe... if the normalness continues.

Staggered downstairs this morning and Chrome is working fine now. Maybe something was changed. Or maybe cached content timed out.

jbriggs444 said:
Staggered downstairs this morning and Chrome is working fine now. Maybe something was changed. Or maybe cached content timed out.
I am seeing no problem now either. The problem was not just you. The problem was not just me. The problem was not just any one particular machine. In Google Chrome now, the identity icon, the bell icon,... working normally and are present. I can sign in and I can sign out.