Logic Gates/ Truth Tables Trouble

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a resit paper for a failed maths module. They are struggling with a question involving truth tables from Boolean equations. They share their incorrect table and another user points out the mistake and provides a simplified version. The original student asks for clarification and the other user explains the extra variable used in the simplification. The conversation ends with the student expressing gratitude for the help.
Diearduk
Hey guys I am having todo a resit paper for a maths module i failed and I've come up against a question on my paper where I am stomped and don't know if I am down the right road or not. Its truth tables from Boolean equations.

Question was:

K = ( X + Y) . (X . Y)

I Came up with:

Code:
K [U][B]X[/B][/U] Y | X Y K | K
1 0 0   1 1 1   1
1 1 1   0 0 0   0
1 0 1   1 0 0   0
0 1 0   0 1 0   0

Answer would be handy if i could get it and also where I've gone wrong and how todo it as there's a few more like this and worse. I've bolded and underlined for Inverted attributes as the forum code doesn't let me space out to do the _ sign midline.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Diearduk and welcome to the forums.

Your table is wrong: you need to use the same x and y values for each operation. I will create a new table and create an extra variable corresponding to the inverted X.

Code:
X Y Z = NOT X |  Z OR Y | X AND Y | (Z OR Y) AND (X AND Y)
0 0  1           1            0                  0
0 1  1           1            0                  0
1 0  0           1            0                  0
1 1  0           1            1                  1

We can use distributive laws to show that:

(NOT X + Y) . (X . Y) = (NOT X).X.Y + Y.X.Y = X.Y which is what we got above.

You should use these kinds of simplifications to give another check of whether you get something symbolic that matches up with your truth table.

Thanks Chiro, This forum and community looks great. Glad i could find it and thanks for your help :) Quick question tho was the Z meaning K? or was that the extra variable you made? i had a lecturer who really didnt educate anyone and just rambled on without explaining things :( meaning my whole class is pretty much as stomped as me.

Diearduk said:
Thanks Chiro, This forum and community looks great. Glad i could find it and thanks for your help :) Quick question tho was the Z meaning K? or was that the extra variable you made? i had a lecturer who really didnt educate anyone and just rambled on without explaining things :( meaning my whole class is pretty much as stomped as me.

Look at his table. He specifically says Z=not X. It's just to make the simplification look less confusing.

I understand that truth tables and Boolean equations can be challenging. It looks like you have correctly created the truth table for the given Boolean equation. However, I would suggest double-checking the values in the last column (K) to ensure they are correct. Additionally, you may want to review the basic principles of Boolean algebra to ensure you fully understand the concepts and how to manipulate them to solve equations. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help with understanding and solving truth tables and Boolean equations. Best of luck on your resit paper.

1. What are logic gates?

Logic gates are electronic circuits that perform basic logical operations on one or more binary inputs to produce a single binary output. They are the building blocks of digital circuits and are used in computers, calculators, and other electronic devices.

2. What is the purpose of a truth table?

A truth table is used to show the output of a logic gate for all possible combinations of inputs. It helps to visualize and understand the logical behavior of a circuit and is essential in designing and troubleshooting digital circuits.

3. What is the difference between AND, OR, and NOT gates?

AND gates produce a high output only when both inputs are high. OR gates produce a high output when either or both inputs are high. NOT gates invert the input, producing a high output when the input is low and vice versa.

4. Can a logic gate have more than two inputs?

Yes, some logic gates, such as the NAND and NOR gates, can have multiple inputs. These gates produce a low output only when all inputs are high, making them useful for simplifying complex logic expressions.

5. What are some common applications of logic gates?

Logic gates are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, calculators, and digital clocks. They are also used in control systems, such as traffic lights and elevator controllers, and in security systems, such as keypads and fingerprint scanners.