Looking for a Comprehensive Explanation of Natural Units

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a comprehensive source on Natural Units. The individual is looking for a document that explains all versions of natural units and provides many examples of their use. While they have found some sources, they are still looking for a more complete and accurate treatment. The only suggestion given is Wikipedia's page on natural units, although it may not meet their requirements.
crhurley
TL;DR Summary
Would anyone know of a book or article that comprehensively explains Natural Units?
Would anyone know of a book or article that comprehensively explains Natural Units? I am looking for a document that explains all the versions of natural units and why, when, and how to use these units. I am looking for a source that provides many examples of how to use Natural Units. I found the following sources, e.g., (1) "Natural System of Units in General Relativity," by Alan L. Myers, (2) and those listed in the reference section of "Natural Units" on Wikipedia. These two sources are okay, but I am looking for a more comprehensive treatment. I am not looking for rigor, but I'll live with it. I am looking for completeness and accuracy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes sophiecentaur and crhurley
anuttarasammyak said:
I am afraid it does not reach the level of your requirement but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units with its notes, references and external links.
Thank You.

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman

1. What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of measurement where fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light and the Planck constant, are set to equal 1. This allows for a simpler and more elegant way of expressing physical quantities without the need for conversion factors.

2. How are natural units used in scientific research?

Natural units are commonly used in theoretical physics and cosmology, where they simplify calculations and provide a more intuitive understanding of physical phenomena. They are also used in particle physics and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. Are there different types of natural units?

Yes, there are several types of natural units, including Planck units, Stoney units, and Hartree units. Each type sets a different fundamental constant to equal 1 and is used in different areas of physics.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using natural units?

The main advantage of using natural units is the simplification of equations and calculations. They also provide a more intuitive understanding of physical quantities. However, natural units can be less convenient for practical applications, as they do not correspond to commonly used units of measurement.

5. How do natural units relate to the concept of dimensionless quantities?

Natural units are often used to express physical quantities in a dimensionless form, where the numerical value represents the ratio of the quantity to a fundamental constant. This allows for a more fundamental understanding of the underlying physical principles at play.