Looking for a grease/lubricant that is resistant to chloroform

• Thread starter HAYAO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seal
In summary: Krytox suggestion.In summary, the conversation is about finding a grease or lubricant that is resistant to chloroform for use in sealing an apparatus. The speaker has been using fluorine-based grease but it is not enough as it still gets dispersed into the system and contaminates it. They ask for recommendations and someone suggests Krytox, which is listed as resistant to chloroform. Another person suggests using conically ground fittings and TEFLON-TAPE for sealing.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a grease/lubricant to seal an apparatus to contain chloroform
I'm doing an experiment in a system that I use chloroform, and the apparatus needs to be sealed by a grease so that chloroform won't leak out. I've been using fluorine-based grease/lubricant to seal since conventional silicone-based grease/lubricant will easily be dissolved by chloroform, but it's not enough. What happens is that although chloroform won't leak, the grease/lubricant is dispersed into the system and contaminates it.

Does anyone know of a grease/lubricant that is strongly resistant to chloroform?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I did the same search and that is literally the only relevant hit, but thanks.

I wonder if it's resistant enough that it repels chloroform. Also, I got to see if it's sold in Japan.

To be honest @HAYAO, when you said “fluorine based” I immediately thought that you were talking about Krytox, which would have been my suggestion had you not said that.

Maybe Apiezon? I’ve used that in Schlenk lines for as long as I can remember and it seems to work ok (I prefer it to silicone grease for the rather dumb reason that I can see it through the glass). But I’m not doing anything that can’t be fixed by slapping on a little more, so if you need a lubricant to perform for long periods without crapping out, I’m not so sure.

HAYAO said:
I did the same search and that is literally the only relevant hit, but thanks.
When, as in this case, you HAVE done some of your own research, PLEASE state what you have found. It is rude to make us re-do a search you've already done, with us thinking that you have overlooked it.

Okay, I have never heard of Apiezon. Thanks.

phinds said:
When, as in this case, you HAVE done some of your own research, PLEASE state what you have found. It is rude to make us re-do a search you've already done, with us thinking that you have overlooked it.
Understood

phinds said:
Good point, but no big deal in this case. I was just proud of myself that I found something! :wink:

berkeman said:
Good point, but no big deal in this case. I was just proud of myself that I found something! :wink:
Yeah, but I mean hell, Mike, you're proud of yourself if you remember to brush your teeth :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Dear Sir or Lady,
have you tried to use conically ground fittings (in some countries called "normed fittings") and seal them with TEFLON-TAPE?

HAYAO said:
Summary: Looking for a grease/lubricant to seal an apparatus to contain chloroform

I'm doing an experiment in a system that I use chloroform, and the apparatus needs to be sealed by a grease so that chloroform won't leak out. I've been using fluorine-based grease/lubricant to seal since conventional silicone-based grease/lubricant will easily be dissolved by chloroform, but it's not enough. What happens is that although chloroform won't leak, the grease/lubricant is dispersed into the system and contaminates it.

Does anyone know of a grease/lubricant that is strongly resistant to chloroform?

Yeah, sorry guys. And thanks

What is chloroform?

Chloroform is a colorless, volatile liquid that is commonly used as a solvent in various industries. It has a sweet smell and was previously used as an anesthetic, but is now primarily used in laboratory settings.

Why is it important to find a grease/lubricant resistant to chloroform?

Chloroform is a strong solvent that can break down many materials, including some types of grease and lubricants. Therefore, it is important to find a product that is resistant to chloroform in order to ensure the longevity and effectiveness of the lubricant in the presence of this solvent.

What types of materials are typically resistant to chloroform?

Materials that are commonly resistant to chloroform include fluorinated polymers, such as PTFE and PFA, as well as some types of silicone-based lubricants. These materials have strong chemical bonds that make them less susceptible to breakdown by chloroform.

Are there any other factors to consider when choosing a grease/lubricant that is resistant to chloroform?

In addition to the material composition of the lubricant, it is also important to consider the specific application and conditions in which it will be used. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and compatibility with other chemicals should also be taken into account.

Are there any safety precautions to take when using a grease/lubricant that is resistant to chloroform?

As with any chemical product, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when handling a grease or lubricant that is resistant to chloroform. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and following the manufacturer's instructions for use and disposal.