Looking for a project for modern physics class

In summary, the group needs a project to build in 12 week, and some ideas are:- Replicating Young's double slit experiment- Finding the value of Planck's constant- Zz.
egetunc
For my modern physics course our group(3 people) need a project to build in 12 week,(so not short, 2-3hours work for each person per week) Our topics are:
  1. Relativity
  2. Waves and Particles I
  3. Waves and Particles II
  4. Bound States: Simple Cases
  5. Unbound States: Obstacles, Tunneling and Particle-Wave Propagation
  6. Quantum Mechanics in Three Dimensions and The Hydrogen Atom
  7. Spin and Atomic Physics
  8. Statistical Mechanics
  9. Particle and Nuclear Physics and Cosmology
So i need some ideas for a long term project. The duration includes everything(calculations, writing the reports and proposals etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts so far? What kind of a project would interest you and your other 2 partners?

Well, we tried to make a cloud chamber to observe muons and also some radioactive particles, but the instructor said that in previous years lots of people did it and don't do it. I'm curious about special/general relativity, nuclear physics and cosmology. Also the assistants emphasize that it's enough to build a project uses the physics laws in these topics. So we don't need to make an experiment to prove/reprove something.

How about replicating Young's double slit experiment. Show how detectors can collapse the wave function of electrons, photon, etc. Use one electron/photon at a time and see the wave being set off.

I don't exactly know if this is what your course expects of you. I would expect you would need to do significantly more, but here's an idea.

lekh2003 said:
How about replicating Young's double slit experiment. Show how detectors can collapse the wave function of electrons, photon, etc. Use one electron/photon at a time and see the wave being set off.

I don't exactly know if this is what your course expects of you. I would expect you would need to do significantly more, but here's an idea.
Well, hopefully you are a bit more critical vs. the idea of "wave-function collapse" than suggested here. It's problematic to use, to say the least.

If the project must be to build up a real experiment, it's not so simple to make single-photon sources. I don't know, how much such a setup would cost. The nowadays standard is to use a sufficiently laser and some appropriate crystal like a BBO crystal to use parametric down-conversion for creating (heralded) single-photon states. Then you also need some photodetector too.

egetunc said:
Well, we tried to make a cloud chamber to observe muons and also some radioactive particles, but the instructor said that in previous years lots of people did it and don't do it. I'm curious about special/general relativity, nuclear physics and cosmology. Also the assistants emphasize that it's enough to build a project uses the physics laws in these topics. So we don't need to make an experiment to prove/reprove something.

Use LEDs to find the value of Planck's constant.

http://www.scienceinschool.org/2014/issue28/planck

Zz.

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Well, hopefully you are a bit more critical vs. the idea of "wave-function collapse" than suggested here. It's problematic to use, to say the least.

If the project must be to build up a real experiment, it's not so simple to make single-photon sources. I don't know, how much such a setup would cost. The nowadays standard is to use a sufficiently laser and some appropriate crystal like a BBO crystal to use parametric down-conversion for creating (heralded) single-photon states. Then you also need some photodetector too.
Yes, I never thought about the cost. These modern physics machines must be immensely expensive.

I am also wary of my usage of the wave function. I'll try to refrain.

We decided to build an interferometer to simulate ligo experiment, it is a great idea since its background on general relativity, light interference, waves etc. Thus, related to our such topics. Thanks for all suggetions

Likes berkeman and vanhees71
Maybe you post about your result here in the forums :-)). In any case have fun with the physics!

why not! after 12weeks we may share some videos and basic presentation

egetunc said:
We decided to build an interferometer to simulate ligo experiment, it is a great idea since its background on general relativity, light interference, waves etc. Thus, related to our such topics. Thanks for all suggetions

(start at 3m45 for an interferometer... then go to 5m30s)

1. What types of projects can I do for a modern physics class?

There are many potential project ideas for a modern physics class. Some examples include researching and discussing the latest developments in quantum mechanics, exploring the principles of special relativity, or designing a experiment to study the properties of light and sound waves. You could also investigate the applications of modern physics in areas such as technology, medicine, or energy production.

2. How should I choose a topic for my modern physics project?

When choosing a topic for your project, consider your interests and strengths in the subject, as well as the resources and time available to you. It may also be helpful to consult with your teacher or classmates for ideas and feedback. Ultimately, the topic should be one that allows you to deepen your understanding of modern physics and showcase your skills and creativity.

3. Can I incorporate hands-on experiments into my modern physics project?

Yes, hands-on experiments can be a great way to enhance your understanding of modern physics concepts and make your project more engaging. Just be sure to carefully plan and conduct the experiment, following proper safety precautions. You may also want to include a detailed description of your experimental methods and results in your project presentation.

4. Are there any online resources or databases that can help me with my modern physics project?

Yes, there are many online resources and databases that can provide valuable information and data for your project. Some examples include scientific journals, university websites, and government databases. Make sure to properly cite any sources you use in your project to avoid plagiarism.

5. How much time should I allocate for my modern physics project?

The amount of time needed for a modern physics project can vary depending on the complexity of your topic and research methods. It is important to plan ahead and give yourself enough time to thoroughly research, experiment, and analyze your findings. Be sure to also leave enough time for creating your project presentation or report, and for any necessary revisions or adjustments.