Looking for a quad rail-to-rail op amp similar to TL074 in DIP14 package?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a quad op amp similar to TL074, but with rail to rail input and support for a +12V/-12V power supply in a DIP14 package. Various suggestions and solutions are presented, including using adaptors or considering alternative op amps with similar capabilities. One member also mentions a technique using parallel PNP and NPN diff pairs with adaptive bias to achieve a rail to rail input range.
Ravaner
Hello. I'm looking for a quad op amp similar to TL074 but rail to rail (mainly for input) in DIP14 (I found a lot in SMD) and supporting +12V / -12V as power supply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks but I'm looking for DIP14 package not SMD

Likes jim hardy
Ravaner said:
Thanks but I'm looking for DIP14 package not SMD
OOPS !
Haste makes waste - i looked at this and just saw 14 pins.
upload_2017-12-29_4-55-27.png

my mistake

...http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/14901fb.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lt1014.pdf
both perhaps a bit slow for audio

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-29_4-55-27.png
    upload_2017-12-29_4-55-27.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 715
Texas Instruments LMC660 is a rail to rail op amp that I have had ok luck with.

What is behind your need for rail to rail input ? Might there be a way around it so you can stick with everyday TLO74?

Hi. Sorry LMC660 is limited to +15.5 V power supply and I need -12 -> +12V

Ravaner said:
rail to rail (mainly for input)
I don't think there is such a thing, at least not in bi-polar technology. Consider that the input stage will have an inherent VBE to turn on and that there must be a load for the first stage, in either the Emitter or Collector, to sense the change in current. It might be possible in MOSFET technology with a depletion mode input stage but I haven't thought it through completely. Your best bet is to put a voltage divider in the input to stay within the Common Mode range. You only need to lose 10% to 20% of input range, not a big hit for later gain stages.

Or can you just increase the supply voltage, maybe even with a couple boost-converters?

FURTHER DIGGING:
You may be able to use a couple of MOSFETs as a pre-amp input stage to get close to rail-to-rail input but it seems like a lot of added complexity for little gain.

A Google search shows a few hits for rail-to-rail input but they are low supply voltage (7V), single or dual, and small packages.
https://www.google.com/search?q="op+amp"+depletion+mode+input

Let us know how it turns out.

Ravaner said:
looking for a quad op amp similar to TL074 but rail to rail (mainly for input)

Tom.G said:
FURTHER DIGGING:
You may be able to use a couple of MOSFETs as a pre-amp input stage to get close to rail-to-rail input but it seems like a lot of added complexity for little gain.

A Google search shows a few hits for rail-to-rail input but they are low supply voltage (7V), single or dual, and small packages.
https://www.google.com/search?q="op+amp"+depletion+mode+input

you may be on the right track
@Ravaner wasn't really specific in the requirement

does he really mean like this Op-amp ?... ( referring to the type of input ONLY)

NCS2002 ?

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NCS2002-D.PDF

Take a look at these few:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/integrated-circuits-ics/linear-amplifiers-instrumentation-op-amps-buffer-amps/687?k=opamp&k=&pkeyword=opamp&pv659=705&pv659=467&pv659=418&FV=a40070%2C1140050%2C1f140000%2Cii4%7C2094%2Cffe002af%2C142c0442&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Likes jim hardy and davenn
Finally, I found a more or less bad solution with LT1491, which has, unfortenatly, a very short GBWP with 200 kHz. Thanks for all yours replies

Tom.G said:
I don't think there is such a thing, at least not in bi-polar technology. Consider that the input stage will have an inherent VBE to turn on and that there must be a load for the first stage, in either the Emitter or Collector, to sense the change in current. It might be possible in MOSFET technology with a depletion mode input stage but I haven't thought it through completely. Your best bet is to put a voltage divider in the input to stay within the Common Mode range. You only need to lose 10% to 20% of input range, not a big hit for later gain stages.

I know this is an older thread, but in case someone reads it and is interested, you can make rail-to-rail op amps without any technology changes (such as depletion mode devices). The key idea is to put a PNP diff pair in parallel with a NPN diff pair. Then you use an adaptive bias circuit to adjust the currents between the two stages to approximate constant gm from rail to rail. Typically you don't really need to cover both rails, in which case you just need to choose PNP or NPN inputs (or PMOS or NMOS if you're doing a CMOS chip).

analogdesign said:
The key idea is to put a PNP diff pair in parallel with a NPN diff pair.
Interesting approach! I'm interesting in following up on it. Can you point me to a datasheet so I can follow up?

Do you have access to the IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits? The primary paper is Huijsing and Linebarger, "Low-Voltage Operational Amplifier with Rail-to-Rail Input and Output Ranges", IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 20, no 6. December 1985.

The paper would go into a lot of detail. Maxim has an app note the technique. https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/4428

The Linear Tech LT1366 also uses the technique. There is some info in the datasheet but not a ton. http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1366fb.pdf

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a quad rail to rail op amp?

A quad rail to rail op amp is an operational amplifier that has four input and four output pins, allowing for four separate signals to be amplified simultaneously. It is also capable of operating with both positive and negative power supplies, allowing for a wider range of voltage levels to be amplified.

2. How does a quad rail to rail op amp differ from a regular op amp?

A regular op amp typically has only one input and one output pin. This means it can only amplify one signal at a time and is limited to operating with a single power supply. A quad rail to rail op amp, on the other hand, has four input and output pins, making it more versatile and capable of amplifying multiple signals simultaneously.

3. What are the benefits of using a quad rail to rail op amp?

The main benefit of using a quad rail to rail op amp is its versatility. It can handle a wider range of input and output signals, making it useful for a variety of applications. It also allows for more precise control over signal amplification and can operate with both positive and negative power supplies, making it suitable for both single and dual supply systems.

4. In what applications are quad rail to rail op amps commonly used?

Quad rail to rail op amps are commonly used in applications where multiple signals need to be amplified, such as audio and video equipment, instrumentation and control systems, and medical devices. They are also useful in low-power and battery-operated devices, as they can operate with lower supply voltages.

5. Are there any limitations to using a quad rail to rail op amp?

While quad rail to rail op amps have many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. They typically have lower bandwidth and higher noise levels compared to regular op amps. They also tend to have higher power consumption, which can be a concern in battery-operated devices. Additionally, not all quad rail to rail op amps are suitable for high-voltage applications, so it's important to carefully select the right one for your specific needs.