Looking for flexible porous electrically conducting material

In summary: It seems like the best material for your project would be a carbon-based material, such as graphene or carbon fiber cloth. These materials are suitable for use as a robust substrate due to their flexibility, porosity to water and dissolved ions, and relatively smooth and uniform surface. Additionally, they are electrically conductive, making them ideal for applying a polymer onto their surface. Other options to consider may include ESD anti-static foam or microporous metals such as aluminium, copper, beryllium copper, or stainless steel. Graphene, while offering many desirable properties, may be expensive. However, it is possible to create it by reducing graphite oxide on a PET substrate using a flash-lamp. Another option could be using thin carbon fiber cloth
Irony
For a research project I'm looking for a material to use as a robust substrate onto which I will apply a polymer. The ideal material would be flexible (or at least not brittle), porous to water and dissolved ions, relatively smooth and uniform (so that an even film of polymer can be cast onto its surface) and most importantly, electrically conductive.

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of carbonised or graphitic material, though I'm open to other ideas as well.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Irony said:
For a research project I'm looking for a material to use as a robust substrate onto which I will apply a polymer. The ideal material would be flexible (or at least not brittle), porous to water and dissolved ions, relatively smooth and uniform (so that an even film of polymer can be cast onto its surface) and most importantly, electrically conductive.

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of carbonised or graphitic material, though I'm open to other ideas as well.

Graphene? (you said any suggestions:biggrin:) It conducts electricity, is smooth, flexible, don't remember the other properties right now (sorry).

Irony said:

How about just starting with ESD anti-static foam? It's not real conductive (100kOhm/square?), but it might be available in different conductivity ranges...

http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00pZPEGSHdnKbl/Antistatic-Foam-ESD-IXPE-Foams-Packing-Foam.jpg
Antistatic-Foam-ESD-IXPE-Foams-Packing-Foam.jpg

Zypheros_Knight said:
Graphene? (you said any suggestions:biggrin:) It conducts electricity, is smooth, flexible, don't remember the other properties right now (sorry).

Yes, I've considered graphene and it sounds like amazing stuff with many of the properties I want. It is really expensive, though!

microporous aluminium/copper/beryllium copper/stainless steel .

Irony said:
Yes, I've considered graphene and it sounds like amazing stuff with many of the properties I want. It is really expensive, though!
You can make it, just get some graphite oxide solution, apply on PET substrate and reduce it with a flash from a flash-lamp, peel off layers of graphene from the PET. Its easy really! For the flash-lamp use the flash on cameras they are pretty much the same thing!

Alum or copper metal foam? High surface area, flexible if thin, highly conductive.

Try thin carbon fibre cloth. I used to use it for making electrodes for simple electrophoresis.

1. What is a flexible porous electrically conducting material?

A flexible porous electrically conducting material is a material that is both flexible and has pores, or small openings, that allow for the flow of fluids or gases. It also has the ability to conduct electricity, making it useful for various applications.

2. What are the properties of a flexible porous electrically conducting material?

The properties of a flexible porous electrically conducting material include flexibility, porosity, and electrical conductivity. It may also have other desirable properties such as high surface area, chemical stability, and mechanical strength.

3. What are the potential uses of a flexible porous electrically conducting material?

A flexible porous electrically conducting material has a wide range of potential uses. It can be used in energy storage devices, such as batteries and supercapacitors, as well as in sensors, filters, and biomedical applications. It can also be used in flexible electronics, such as wearable devices and flexible displays.

4. How is a flexible porous electrically conducting material made?

There are several methods for making a flexible porous electrically conducting material. One common method is to use a template, such as a polymer or surfactant, to create pores in the material. The material is then coated with a conductive material, such as carbon or metal, to make it electrically conductive. Other methods include electrospinning, chemical vapor deposition, and 3D printing.

5. What are the challenges in developing a flexible porous electrically conducting material?

One of the main challenges in developing a flexible porous electrically conducting material is finding a balance between flexibility and conductivity. A material that is too flexible may not be able to maintain its shape, while a material that is too conductive may not be flexible enough. Other challenges include controlling the pore size and distribution, achieving uniform conductivity, and improving the mechanical and chemical stability of the material.