Looking for height of cliff

• Thread starter SpecialKM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the height of the cliff can be calculated using the equations t1 + t2 = 3.2 and h = 1/2 * g * t1^2 = 340 * t2, where t1 and t2 are the time it takes for the ball and sound to reach the water, respectively. This can be solved using substitution and solving a quadratic equation, resulting in a height of approximately 46 meters.
SpecialKM

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from a sea cliff. 3.2 seconds later it is heard striking the water. The speed of sound is 340 m/s. How high is the cliff?

I can't seem to get this question, every attempt seems to point to insufficient amount of information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain what you've tried so far and why you believe there to be insufficient information.

Well I've understood that the 3.2 seconds is not the time that the balls takes to reach the water. What we know for the ball is that the initial velocity is 0 m/s and acceleration is 9.8 (m/s)/s downwards. And since we assume no air friction = no air so the speed of sound from the bottom of the cliff is 340 m/s and it remains constant.

delta t (total) = delta t( ball) + delta t(sound)

what I get stuck on is that no matter how I try to get the time duration for any of these two constituents, there is not enough information. I have also tried to substitute the common denominator between these two, the delta d (distance). But then the physics makes no sense, and it completely becomes math, and still do not get the correct answer.

SpecialKM said:
delta t (total) = delta t( ball) + delta t(sound)

This is a good start. Seems to me there are two additional equations you can write (1) the physics relating the distance the ball falls and the time it takes, and (2) the time it takes sound to travel the same distance. You'll end up with three equations and three unknowns that can be readily solved by substitution. Hint: involves solving a quadratic equation. Do you know what the answer is suppose to be?

Last edited:
Well I make the cliff height just under 50 metres high.

Taking g as 10m/s2 h = 47 metres.

Studiot said:
Well I make the cliff height just under 50 metres high.

Taking g as 10m/s2 h = 47 metres.

I'm always getting around 50m and I don't know why.

delta t (total) = [itex]\sqrt{2h/g}[/itex] + h/340

3.2 = [itex]\sqrt{2h/9.8}[/itex] + h/340

(3.2)2 = 2h/9.8 + h2/3402

Is there something wrong here?

SpecialKM said:
Is there something wrong here?

Yep, (a + b)2 doesn't equal a2 + b2. The pesky square root makes this approach too ugly. What I did was write two different expressions for h, equate them, then use the result to solve for t1 and t2. The value for h can then be calculated.

Last edited:
MY GOSH. I can't believe I made such a simple mistake, thanks hotvette, I got the answer now.

The pesky square root makes this approach too ugly.

Solving the quadratic is not so difficult.

Here is how to get rid of that pesky square root.

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
3.2 = \frac{h}{{340}} + \sqrt {\frac{{2h}}{g}} \\
{\left( {3.2 - \frac{h}{{340}}} \right)^2} = \frac{{2h}}{g} \\
{\left( {\frac{{1088 - h}}{{340}}} \right)^2} = \frac{{2h}}{{9.81}} \\
{\left( {1088 - h} \right)^2} = \frac{{231200}}{{9.81}}h \\
{h^2} - 25744h + 1183744 = 0 \\
h = \frac{{25744 \pm \sqrt {662753536 - 4734976} }}{2} \\
h = \frac{1}{2}\left( {25744 \pm 25652} \right) \\
\end{array}[/tex]

[tex]{\rm{h = 46m}}\quad {\rm{ or}}\quad {\rm{ 256968m}}[/tex]

Studiot said:
Solving the quadratic is not so difficult.

Here is how to get rid of that pesky square root.

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
3.2 = \frac{h}{{340}} + \sqrt {\frac{{2h}}{g}} \\
{\left( {3.2 - \frac{h}{{340}}} \right)^2} = \frac{{2h}}{g} \\
{\left( {\frac{{1088 - h}}{{340}}} \right)^2} = \frac{{2h}}{{9.81}} \\
{\left( {1088 - h} \right)^2} = \frac{{231200}}{{9.81}}h \\
{h^2} - 25744h + 1183744 = 0 \\
h = \frac{{25744 \pm \sqrt {662753536 - 4734976} }}{2} \\
h = \frac{1}{2}\left( {25744 \pm 25652} \right) \\
\end{array}[/tex]

[tex]{\rm{h = 46m}}\quad {\rm{ or}}\quad {\rm{ 256968m}}[/tex]

This is the approach I used. Hotvette, would you mind showing yours?

Yours was more straightforward than mine.

3.2 = t1 + t2

h = 1/2 g t12 = 340t2

Two equations in two unknowns. Solve for either t1 or t2, then calculate h.

Last edited:

1. How do you measure the height of a cliff?

The height of a cliff can be measured using various methods such as using a measuring tape or ruler, using a clinometer, or using trigonometry with the help of a theodolite or other surveying equipment.

2. Can you estimate the height of a cliff using visual cues?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the height of a cliff by comparing it to known objects or landmarks, using the person's own height as a reference, or by counting the number of visible rock layers or vegetation lines on the cliff face.

3. Is it important to consider the angle of elevation when measuring the height of a cliff?

Yes, the angle of elevation is a crucial factor in accurately measuring the height of a cliff. The steeper the angle, the higher the cliff will be. Therefore, it is necessary to use equipment or techniques that can measure the angle of elevation.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when measuring the height of a cliff?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when measuring the height of a cliff, especially if you are doing it in person. Make sure to have proper climbing gear, stay away from the edge, and have someone else present for assistance. If using equipment, follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Can the height of a cliff change over time?

Yes, the height of a cliff can change over time due to natural erosion or human activities such as mining or construction. Therefore, it is important to regularly measure the height of a cliff if it is a crucial factor in any scientific research or activities being conducted in the area.