Looking for Phase Diagrams for Mag-Thor alloys

In summary, the conversation is about the search for phase diagrams for Mag-Thor alloys and information on their processing methods. The speaker asks if the alloys are typically made by diffusion of Th in Mg and then thermally homogenized or if they are usually cast, and if there are any other interesting information about them. The speaker also mentions finding sources on the AMS website and invites anyone with background on these alloys to share their insights.
mesa
Gold Member
I am looking for phase diagrams for Mag-Thor alloys and would also like to get some information on how they are typically processed. Are these alloys typically made by diffusion of Th in the Mg and then thermally homogenized? Or are they usually cast? Perhaps made by some other process all together?

If you have any other interesting information about these alloys please feel free to chime in!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found several sources include the AMS website which my University happens to have an 'open' subscription to. Here is a link for anyone interested,

http://www1.asminternational.org/asmenterprise/apd/

If anyone has any background with these alloys please chime in!

Q: What are phase diagrams?

Phase diagrams are graphical representations of the physical states (or phases) of a material at different combinations of temperature, pressure, and composition. They show the relationships between different phases and the conditions under which they exist.

Q: What are Mag-Thor alloys?

Mag-Thor alloys are a group of materials that are composed of a mixture of magnesium (Mg) and thorium (Th) elements. These alloys have unique properties, such as high strength and corrosion resistance, which make them useful in various applications, including aerospace and automotive industries.

Q: Why are phase diagrams important for Mag-Thor alloys?

Phase diagrams provide important information about the behavior of materials, including Mag-Thor alloys, under different conditions. They can help scientists and engineers understand how these alloys will behave in different environments and how to manipulate their properties to meet specific needs.

Q: Where can I find phase diagrams for Mag-Thor alloys?

Phase diagrams for Mag-Thor alloys can be found in scientific papers, textbooks, and online databases. They may also be available from the manufacturers or researchers working with these alloys. It is important to make sure that the phase diagram is from a reliable source and is specific to the composition of the alloy being studied.

Q: How do I interpret a phase diagram for Mag-Thor alloys?

Interpreting a phase diagram for Mag-Thor alloys involves understanding the different phases that are present, their stability regions, and the conditions under which they exist. It is also important to pay attention to the axes of the diagram, as they represent the variables (temperature, pressure, and composition) that affect the phases. Additionally, the lines and curves on the diagram represent the boundaries between different phases and the changes in properties that occur at these boundaries.