Looking for ways of joining metal and plastic

In summary: For do-it-yourself, I have not been able to to get a reliable connection by thermoplastic welding the plastic onto the metal.Please let us know what you come up with.
Chandrasekar
TL;DR Summary
How to join a plastic part with a metal part?
i have a plastic handle and want to join it with a metal body. i can join it with heat stacking method i have find a product who done done that.
is there any other way to join permenently?

1677648708729.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have usually seen either weld-nuts on the metal part with machine screws going thru and holding the handle, or making the plastic part slightly deformable with 'hooks' or 'latches' that fit in cutouts in the metal.

There are also instances of having sheet metal barbs that insert into the plastic. Depending on the ultimate use, the barb may be either molded into the plastic of merely inserted into a preformed slot in the plastic.

For do-it-yourself, I have not been able to to get a reliable connection by thermoplastic welding the plastic onto the metal.

Please let us know what you come up with.

Cheers,
Tom

Chandrasekar said:
i have a plastic handle and want to join it with a metal body.
What sort of metal is it, stainless steel or maybe aluminium ?

Chandrasekar said:
i have a plastic handle and want to join it with a metal body.
Are we talking about that mug (?) on the picture?

Based on the picture there should be some metal pieces in the handle and originally it was a metal-metal connection, maybe done with spot welding.

I don't think this can be repaired easily (and, what's more omportant: it won't be any sturdier than before).
What I would do ... well, honestly, I would just buy a clay mug, but to use that one on the picture I see two ways:
- to make two rings of metal strap attached to the old handle and make the mug sit in the rings
- make a complete new handle&rings entirely from some steel wire

Something like these, but more 'engineer way':
shopping

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21
Rive said:
I don't think this can be repaired easily (and, what's more important: it won't be any sturdier than before).
Very true.
Do not waste time reattaching an old plastic handle to a metal container.
Plastic becomes brittle with time, it then fails at a progressively lower stress.
Replace the handle with new, or with an improved material.

Likes DeBangis21 and russ_watters
sorry guys, i think i have not given proper question.
it is just a example to understand what i want. what i really want is a way to join a plastic part with a metal part (a hybrid assembly - i think).

Thank you for your concerns.

Last edited:
Chandrasekar said:
TL;DR Summary: How to join a plastic part with a metal part?

i have a plastic handle and want to join it with a metal body. i can join it with heat stacking method i have find a product who done done that.
is there any other way to join permanently?

View attachment 323028
this picture is given as an example explain to what i really want.

'I just want a any other method to join a plastic part with a metal part.'
i got two way to join
1. Heat Stacking
2. fasteners
is there any other way?

Tom.G said:
For do-it-yourself, I have not been able to to get a reliable connection by thermoplastic welding the plastic onto the metal.
Thermoplastic welding and heat stacking are same?

Spot weld a short, flat headed countersunk screw to the metal.
Mould or drill a hole in the plastic to slide over the screw.
Place some glue in the hole, then press them together.

• Informative
Likes Chandrasekar
Chandrasekar said:
is there any other way?
Are you looking for something what can be industrialized (like that handle from the picture), or just DIY level will do?

For the letter, as I recall there are some glues which can bond on plastic and metal too. But I would keep those only for places without much stress of any kind.
Synthetic resins (even with some fibers added) may be also do the trick (not just used like a glue but as means of extra mechanical support).

• Informative
Likes Chandrasekar
Rive said:
Are you looking for something what can be industrialized (like that handle from the picture), or just DIY level will do?
for industrialized level

Chandrasekar said:
for industrialized level
Yeah, go with a mechanical fastener. Personally, I'd say threaded rod welded to the body, and nuts to hold the handle on.

Likes Tom.G and Chandrasekar
I just did a post on bonding metals with epoxy. Search "Methyl Methacrylate adhesives" There are formulas that are mix compatible with metals and plastic. And their bond is outstanding.

• Informative
Likes Chandrasekar

1. What are the most common methods for joining metal and plastic?

The most common methods for joining metal and plastic include adhesive bonding, mechanical fastening, thermal joining, ultrasonic welding, and laser welding.

2. How do adhesive bonds work in joining metal and plastic?

Adhesive bonds work by creating a strong bond between the metal and plastic surfaces through the use of an adhesive material. The adhesive is applied to the surfaces and then cured, creating a strong bond between the two materials.

3. What are the advantages of mechanical fastening in joining metal and plastic?

Mechanical fastening, such as using screws or rivets, offers a strong and reliable connection between metal and plastic materials. It also allows for disassembly and reassembly if needed.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a method for joining metal and plastic?

Some factors to consider when choosing a method for joining metal and plastic include the materials being used, the strength and durability required, the cost and time constraints, and the environment in which the joint will be used.

5. Can metal and plastic be joined using traditional welding methods?

No, traditional welding methods such as arc welding or gas welding are not suitable for joining metal and plastic due to the significant differences in their melting points and material properties. Specialized welding methods, such as ultrasonic or laser welding, are needed for joining these dissimilar materials.