Looking to study physics in Germany

In summary, the individual is a 21-year-old student who is almost finished with a bachelor's degree in Information systems from a university in Egypt. However, they are not satisfied with their degree and want to study physics. They are considering studying in Germany but have important questions, including if they are too old to pursue this path, how they can support themselves financially during and after their studies, and the job prospects and pay for physicists. They have a passion for physics and do not want to end up in a career that does not utilize their degree. There are various positions available for physicists, including in software development, consulting, patent law, and government jobs. However, the individual is concerned about the time and effort it will take to achieve a
kirylloss
Hello everyone ,
first of all i hope I'm posting in the right place :D if not pardon me I'm new here.
i seek enlightenment actually. I'm 21 years old almost finished bachelors in Information systems(which was a bad choice by my side ) from university in Egypt ( but I'm completing it anyway :D )
but actually I'm not near satisfied i love to study physics (bachelors)and I'm looking for studying it in Germany but i have really some important questions .
1-Am i old(too late ) for this ?
2- how can student put food on the table after bachelors and while doing master , OR phd and after that post graduate its a long time to go how people earn money at this stage?
3- I'm reading that academia career is very hard and no one getting into it
4- most of the career for physicist is boring and does not have to do with most physicist passion and pay very bad ( is this true)
5-anyone have information about how valuable physics degree in Germany ?
PS: i love physics very much and i don't want end up doing no physics after all effort i will do and even more not paying the pill :D
thank you in advance for you effort and time

Physics news on Phys.org
kirylloss said:
1-Am i old(too late ) for this ?
The average student will be more like 18-19, but that is not a large difference. You might be able to use some lectures from Information systems for your physics bachelor to speed it up, you would have to discuss this with the university on an individual basis.
kirylloss said:
2- how can student put food on the table after bachelors and while doing master , OR phd and after that post graduate its a long time to go how people earn money at this stage?
PhD positions are paid - well enough to live from it. Before that:
You can look for scholarships.
BAföG is a government-funded option, you can check if you qualify for funding from them. They also have reasonable student loans, but if you get away without them it is certainly easier.
Universities usually have some jobs where you take care of students doing lab courses or similar - not in the first year, but later. Jobs outside of university are possible as well.
kirylloss said:
3- I'm reading that academia career is very hard and no one getting into it
The fraction of physics students ending up in a permanent position doing physics in a university is small, but there are many interesting positions elsewhere.
kirylloss said:
4- most of the career for physicist is boring and does not have to do with most physicist passion and pay very bad ( is this true)
Huh? Where did you hear this? Permanent staff spends a significant fraction of their time with administrative work and teaching, but they are still doing research.
kirylloss said:
5-anyone have information about how valuable physics degree in Germany ?
See point 3. There is a large range of positions where physicists can work. You don't necessarily have exactly the 100% work-related experience, but the flexibility learned in physics research is as valueable as applied knowledge you can quickly learn.

mfb said:
The fraction of physics students ending up in a permanent position doing physics in a university is small, but there are many interesting positions elsewhere.
i'm very thankful for your reply mfp , if you have enough time like what these interesting positions? , if you mean industry sector does not people with engineering degree have better chance in there ?

They look for both engineers and physicists.

Software development is an option.
Consulting companies are looking for physicists as well.
Patent attorneys, various government jobs where physics knowledge is useful, ...

thank you :)

but i don't think that going for physics degree and phd to end up doing software development i would be software developer just right after a 2mouth or 3 XD of self studying with my degree we are talking here about at least 8 years of hard work to achieve that if you get what i mean ( if not working in physics then not worth it at all )

1. What are the top universities in Germany for studying physics?

The top universities in Germany for studying physics are the Technical University of Munich, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Heidelberg University, Humboldt University of Berlin, and the University of Bonn. These universities are renowned for their strong physics programs and research opportunities.

2. What are the requirements for studying physics in Germany?

The requirements for studying physics in Germany vary depending on the university and program. Generally, students must have a high school diploma or equivalent, proficiency in the German language, and a strong background in mathematics and physics. Some universities may also require standardized test scores and letters of recommendation.

3. How long does it take to complete a physics degree in Germany?

A bachelor's degree in physics in Germany typically takes 3 years to complete, while a master's degree takes 2 years. However, the duration may vary depending on the university and program. Additionally, some universities offer combined bachelor's and master's programs, which can take 4-5 years to complete.

4. Are there any scholarships available for international students studying physics in Germany?

Yes, there are several scholarships available for international students studying physics in Germany. Some popular options include the DAAD Scholarship, the Deutschlandstipendium, and the Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarship. It is important to research and apply for these scholarships early, as they are highly competitive.

5. What are the career opportunities for physics graduates in Germany?

Physics graduates in Germany have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including research and development, engineering, data science, and education. Some popular employers for physics graduates in Germany include BMW, Siemens, and the Max Planck Society. Additionally, many graduates also pursue further studies in physics or related fields.