Loop-the-loop normal force problem. Possible textbook error?

In summary, the force that the cockpit seat exerts on the pilot at the top of the loop is equal to the difference between the centripetal force required to keep the pilot in the loop and the force of gravity on the pilot, which is calculated as F_{N} = m\frac{v^{2}}{R} - mg. The book gives D as the answer, but there is ambiguity about the sign of g and the value of R.
zakh508

Homework Statement

A pilot of mass m flies a jet plane on a "loop-the-loop" course by flying in a vertical circle of radius R at a constant speed v. The force that the cockpit seat exerts on the pilot at the top of the loop is

(A) [itex]mg[/itex].
(B) [itex]mg\left(\frac{v^{2}}{R+1}\right)[/itex].
(C) [itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R(g+1)}[/itex].
(D) [itex]m\left(\frac{v^{2}}{R-g}\right)[/itex].
(E) [itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R}[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]a_{c}=\frac{v^{2}}{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined that because the centripetal acceleration is pressing the pilot into the seat while gravity is pulling him away from the seat that [itex]F_{N}=\frac{v^{2}}{R}-mg[/itex]. I simplified this to [itex]F_{N}=m\left(\frac{v^{2}-g}{R}\right)[/itex]. (Just realized this is wrong, should be [itex]F_{N}=m\left(\frac{v^{2}}{R}-g\right)[/itex]) The only answer in the book close to that is D but I have no idea how g ended up in the denominator. Could the textbook be wrong or am I missing something?

EDIT: The book's explanation is that the normal force plus force of gravity have to equal mass times centripetal acceleration, therefore [itex]F_{N}+mg=\frac{mv^{2}}{R}[/itex] which they simplified to D. So their explanation makes more sense now but I still think it's wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zakh508 said:

Homework Statement

A pilot of mass m flies a jet plane on a "loop-the-loop" course by flying in a vertical circle of radius R at a constant speed v. The force that the cockpit seat exerts on the pilot at the top of the loop is

(A) [itex]mg[/itex].
(B) [itex]mg\left(\frac{v^{2}}{R+1}\right)[/itex].
(C) [itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R(g+1)}[/itex].
(D) [itex]m\left(\frac{v^{2}}{R-g}\right)[/itex].
(E) [itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R}[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]a_{c}=\frac{v^{2}}{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined that because the centripetal acceleration is pressing the pilot into the seat while gravity is pulling him away from the seat that [itex]F_{N}=\frac{v^{2}}{R}-mg[/itex]. I simplified this to [itex]F_{N}=m\left(\frac{v^{2}-g}{R}\right)[/itex]. The only answer in the book close to that is D but I have no idea how g ended up in the denominator. Could the textbook be wrong or am I missing something?
I disagree with all the offered answers and yours.
Centripetal acceleration is not a force, because an acceleration is not a force. Centripetal force is not an applied force - it is a required resultant force (to produce an observed acceleration). So it doesn't push the pilot anywhere.
Also, you seem to be describing the bottom of the loop, whereas the question says the top of the loop.
Dimensional analysis shows that your answer and all the offered answers except A and E must be wrong. But they cannot be right for other reasons.

What are the forces acting on the pilot?
What is the pilot's acceleration?
What equation does that give you?

Well, the answer should be zero anyway. At the top of the loop, only gravity would be supplying the centripetal acceleration. Answers B, C, and D are all wrong because of dimensions -- you can't add a constant to ##R## for instance, or subtract ##g## (which is an acceleration) from ##R## (which is a distance). Assuming the force isn't zero though, you have the correct answer of ##F_{N} = m\frac{v^{2}}{R} - mg##, which (check your simplification), would be ##N = m(\frac{v^{2}}{R} - g)##

The book could be wrong.

haruspex said:
I disagree with all the offered answers and yours.
Centripetal acceleration is not a force, because an acceleration is not a force. Centripetal force is not an applied force - it is a required resultant force (to produce an observed acceleration). So it doesn't push the pilot anywhere.
Also, you seem to be describing the bottom of the loop, whereas the question says the top of the loop.
Dimensional analysis shows that your answer and all the offered answers except A and E must be wrong. But they cannot be right for other reasons.

What are the forces acting on the pilot?
What is the pilot's acceleration?
What equation does that give you?

I interpreted it as the seat needs to press into the pilot in order to keep him in the loop. I wrote in an edit that the book does give D as the answer and gives the explanation that gravity and the normal force from the seat provide the centripetal force. I'm pretty sure the book is wrong, but I think I have a solid handle on the theory now anyways.

jackarms said:
Well, the answer should be zero anyway. At the top of the loop, only gravity would be supplying the centripetal acceleration.
There's a force from the seat and a force from gravity. The resultant is the centripetal force. If the required centripetal force is less than that from gravity then the normal force from the seat will be positive. There's no reason that the plane should be in free fall at this point.
you have the correct answer of ##F_{N} = m\frac{v^{2}}{R} - mg##
Except, what about the sign? Assuming up is positive, then you'd have to take R as negative above to get the right relationship between v2/r and FN.
g is always a bit ambiguous because you can either let the gravitational acceleration be g, regardless of sign convention (in which case g will have a negative value when up is positive), or take g to be the absolute value and apply the appropriate sign in the equation. I prefer the former, so if R is positive and up is positive we have
##F_{N} = -m\frac{v^{2}}{R} - mg##
where g is negative.

haruspex said:
There's a force from the seat and a force from gravity. The resultant is the centripetal force. If the required centripetal force is less than that from gravity then the normal force from the seat will be positive. There's no reason that the plane should be in free fall at this point.
Yes, I'm sorry. I was thinking of something of problems such as a bike going around a loop and finding the minimum velocity such that the bike would stay on the loop, in which case the normal force would be zero and it would be in free fall. But here it's different.

haruspex said:
Except, what about the sign? Assuming up is positive, then you'd have to take R as negative above to get the right relationship between v2/r and FN. g is always a bit ambiguous because you can either let the gravitational acceleration be g, regardless of sign convention (in which case g will have a negative value when up is positive), or take g to be the absolute value and apply the appropriate sign in the equation. I prefer the former, so if R is positive and up is positive we have
##F_{N} = -m\frac{v^{2}}{R} - mg##
where g is negative.
Okay, that makes sense. I was thinking more about finding the magnitude of the normal force since its direction was already known.

Related to Loop-the-loop normal force problem. Possible textbook error?

1. What is a loop-the-loop normal force problem?

A loop-the-loop normal force problem is a physics problem that involves a small car or object traveling in a circular loop at a constant speed. The problem typically asks about the normal force acting on the car at different points along the loop.

2. How do you solve a loop-the-loop normal force problem?

To solve a loop-the-loop normal force problem, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the object at different points along the loop. Then, you can use the equations for circular motion and Newton's laws of motion to find the normal force at each point.

3. What are some common errors in solving loop-the-loop normal force problems?

One common error is forgetting to consider the centripetal force, which is necessary for circular motion. Another error is using the wrong equation or forgetting to take into account the acceleration of the object along the loop.

4. Are there any common mistakes in textbooks when it comes to loop-the-loop normal force problems?

Yes, there can be errors in textbooks when it comes to loop-the-loop normal force problems. Some textbooks may use incorrect equations or omit important information, leading to incorrect solutions. It is always important to double check your work and refer to multiple sources when solving these types of problems.

5. What can I do if I suspect there is an error in my textbook's loop-the-loop normal force problem?

If you suspect there is an error in your textbook's loop-the-loop normal force problem, you can try checking the problem with a different source, such as an online resource or another textbook. You can also consult with your teacher or professor for clarification or assistance in solving the problem.