Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge

In summary, the Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge is a mathematical tool derived from Maxwell's equations that describes the changes in electric and magnetic fields under a change of reference frame in classical electrodynamics. It is most useful in studying electromagnetic fields in moving frames and is commonly used in problems involving electromagnetic radiation and relativistic systems. The key equations in the transformation include the continuity equation, Coulomb gauge condition, and Lorentz transformation equations for electric and magnetic fields. The Coulomb gauge is used in this transformation to simplify equations and decouple scalar and vector potentials for a clearer understanding of field behavior.
GreenGiant
Hello I have been having trouble understanding equation 14.25 in Bjorken and Drell "Relativistic Quantum Fields" and how exactly it gets to it. Also I would like to explicitly find/derive what the operator gauge function is. Can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I know it's a year late, but here's a derivation. I think there's a sign error in there somewhere, though. Let me know if you find it.

Attachments

• coulomb.pdf
    198.1 KB · Views: 382
Well, you will be delighted to hear that I think I fixed the sign error.

Attachments

• coulomb.pdf
    207.4 KB · Views: 320

Related to Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge

What is the Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge?

The Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge is a mathematical tool used in classical electrodynamics to describe how electric and magnetic fields change under a change of reference frame. It is based on the principles of special relativity and is often used to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in moving frames.

Why is the Coulomb gauge used in Lorentz transformation?

The Coulomb gauge is used in Lorentz transformation because it simplifies the equations and makes them easier to solve. In this gauge, the scalar and vector potentials are decoupled, which allows for a clearer understanding of how electric and magnetic fields change under a change of reference frame.

What are the key equations in the Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge?

The key equations in the Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge are the continuity equation, the Coulomb gauge condition, and the Lorentz transformation equations for the electric and magnetic fields. These equations describe the conservation of charge, the relationship between the scalar and vector potentials, and how the electric and magnetic fields transform under a change of reference frame.

How is the Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge related to Maxwell's equations?

The Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge is directly related to Maxwell's equations, which are the fundamental equations of classical electrodynamics. In fact, the Lorentz transformation is derived from Maxwell's equations, and it provides a way to solve for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different reference frames.

In what situations is the Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge most useful?

The Lorentz transformation in Coulomb gauge is most useful in situations where there is a need to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in moving frames. It is commonly used in problems involving electromagnetic radiation, such as the motion of charged particles or the propagation of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in studying the behavior of electromagnetic fields in relativistic systems, such as particle accelerators.