Lorentz transformations and vector fields

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for vector fields that involves a unitary operator implementing a Lorentz transformation. The operator should be a matrix with dimensions corresponding to the representation of the object being transformed. The conversation also mentions the spinor case and how the left side of the equation may involve summation with one of the indices of U. However, it is clarified that the LHS is just a generic notation for a symmetry transformation, and in order to perform the transformation, a representation for the group must be chosen. This representation, such as the vector representation of the Lorentz group, would have indices as it is an actual matrix.
Giuseppe Lacagnina
Hi Everyone.

There is an equation which I have known for a long time but quite never used really. Now I have doubts I really understand it. Consider the unitary operator implementing a Lorentz transformation. Many books show the following equation for vector fields:

[tex] U(\Lambda)^{-1}A^\mu U(\Lambda)=\Lambda^\mu_{..\nu} A^\nu[/tex]

The operator U should be a matrix with the dimensions corresponding to the representation of the object being transformed. Consider the spinor case for example!

I am getting confused by this. Should not the index on A on the left side be involved in a summation with one of the indices of U?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the LHS is just the generic notation that [tex]A^\mu[/tex] is undergoing a symmetry transformation. That is U just represents a certain symmetry group. In order to perform the transformation itself, you must choose a representation for that group, which in the vector representation of the Lorentz group is [tex]\Lambda^\mu_{..\nu}[/tex]. It only makes sense for a representation to have indices because that is an actual matrix.

My jargon may be off, but that is the way I understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. They involve the concepts of time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity.

2. How do Lorentz transformations affect vector fields?

Lorentz transformations affect vector fields by changing the coordinates and components of the vectors in a specific way, depending on the relative motion between the observer and the vector field. This is necessary in order to maintain the same physical laws in all inertial reference frames.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in Lorentz transformations?

The speed of light, denoted by "c", is a fundamental constant in Lorentz transformations. It is the maximum velocity at which energy, information, or any physical object can travel in the universe. The equations of Lorentz transformations are derived based on the constancy of the speed of light in all inertial reference frames.

4. Can Lorentz transformations be applied to non-inertial reference frames?

No, Lorentz transformations can only be applied to inertial reference frames, which are frames of reference that are not accelerating or rotating. In non-inertial reference frames, the laws of physics are different and require more complex mathematical equations.

5. How are Lorentz transformations related to the concept of spacetime?

Lorentz transformations are closely related to the concept of spacetime, which is the combination of three-dimensional space and time into a four-dimensional continuum. The equations of Lorentz transformations show how events in spacetime appear differently to observers in different reference frames, depending on their relative motion.