Fourier transform of electric susceptibility example

In summary, the Fourier transform is needed to evaluate a model function in electrodynamics which is supposed to be a solution to a problem, but I don't know how to simplify the integral.
schniefen
Homework Statement
Evaluate ##\chi (t)## for the model function

##\tilde{\chi}(\omega)=\frac{Nq^2}{Vm\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{\omega_0^2-\omega^2-\mathrm{i}\omega\gamma}=\frac{Nq^2}{Vm\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{\gamma^2}{4}}}\left(\frac{1}{\omega+\mathrm{i}\frac{\gamma}{2}+\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{\gamma^2}{4}}}-\frac{1}{\omega+\mathrm{i}\frac{\gamma}{2}-\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{\gamma^2}{4}}}\right) \ , ##

and interpret the result.
Relevant Equations
Complex polarization: ##\mathbf {P}(t)=\tilde{\chi}\epsilon_0\tilde{\mathbf{E}}_0e^{-\mathrm{i}\omega t}##
I have not studied the Fourier transform (FT) in great detail, but came across a problem in electrodynamics in which I assume it is needed. The problem goes as follows:

Evaluate ##\chi (t)## for the model function

##\tilde{\chi}(\omega)=\frac{Nq^2}{Vm\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{\omega_0^2-\omega^2-\mathrm{i}\omega\gamma}=\frac{Nq^2}{Vm\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{\gamma^2}{4}}}\left(\frac{1}{\omega+\mathrm{i}\frac{\gamma}{2}+\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{\gamma^2}{4}}}-\frac{1}{\omega+\mathrm{i}\frac{\gamma}{2}-\sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{\gamma^2}{4}}}\right) \ , ##

and interpret the result.​

To find ##\chi (t)##, one needs to evaluate the integral ##\chi (t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\tilde{\chi}(\omega) e^{-i\omega t} \mathrm{d}\omega##, right? Are there any tricks to simplify the integral?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a multitude of tricks in the realm of complex analysis, but absent that it is probably easiest to make a simple substitution of variable for each of the two terms and the result is not too difficult for each.

Likes schniefen
hutchphd said:
There are a multitude of tricks in the realm of complex analysis, but absent that it is probably easiest to make a simple substitution of variable for each of the two terms and the result is not too difficult for each.

Thanks for the reply. I am not too familiar with complex analysis either, but I assume making a substitution in a complex integral follows the same procedure as in a real integral?

schniefen said:
To find ##\chi (t)##, one needs to evaluate the integral ##\chi (t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\tilde{\chi}(\omega) e^{i\omega t} \mathrm{d}\omega##, right?
How did your course/book define the Fourier transform? The details of the inverse Fourier tranform depend on how the Fourier transform is defined. For example, if
##
\tilde{\chi}(\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \chi(t) \, e^{-i \omega t} \, dt
##
then the inverse transform is,
##\chi (t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\tilde{\chi}(\omega) e^{i\omega t} \mathrm{d}\omega##
But not everyone uses the same conventions. In fact, based on your equation
##
\mathbf {P}(t)=\tilde{\chi}\epsilon_0\tilde{\mathbf{E}}_0e^{-\mathrm{i}\omega t}
##
I suspect that the signs in the exponents are the opposite of what I posted above. But the location of the factor of ##2\pi## can vary (again, no standard...)

If your course allows you to use a table of Fourier transforms, then that is one approach that can help. Equivalently, your professor may have computed the forward Fourier transform of a function that looks like your ##\tilde{\chi}(\omega)##.Note that if you use a table, you need to make sure they are defining their Fourier transform the same way you are (it really is a pain that there are multiple conventions...). Otherwise you will need to perform the integral yourself.

jason

Likes schniefen
I have edited my original question. I meant something else, what you wrote (but with minus signs in the exponents reversed, see here).

There are some tables on Wikipedia and I’ve been referred to equations 103, 205 and 309 there. However, I don’t see yet how to apply all of them.

The table in the wikipedia article isn't that great. Here is one that has more useful functions
Table of Fourier Transform Pairs (purdue.edu)
The table uses standard electrical engineering notation, so it uses ##j## instead of ##i## for ##\sqrt{-1}##, ##u(t)## is ##0## for ##t<0##and ##1## for ##t>0##, etc.

jason

Last edited:
If you're familiar with the laplace transform you can substitute ##s=i\omega~
## in your ##\tilde X(\omega)## then go to a table of laplace transforms. There are oodles of laplace tables but few fourier.
BTW this looks like some kind of damped oscillation.

1. What is the Fourier transform of electric susceptibility?

The Fourier transform of electric susceptibility is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time (in this case, the electric susceptibility) into a function of frequency. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the frequency components of a signal.

2. How is the Fourier transform of electric susceptibility calculated?

The Fourier transform of electric susceptibility is typically calculated using the mathematical formula for Fourier transform, which involves integrating the function over all time and multiplying it by a complex exponential function. This can be done analytically or numerically using computer algorithms.

3. Why is the Fourier transform of electric susceptibility important?

The Fourier transform of electric susceptibility is important because it allows us to study the frequency components of a signal, which can provide valuable information about the underlying physical processes. It is also used in many practical applications, such as signal processing, communication systems, and image analysis.

4. Can the Fourier transform of electric susceptibility be used to analyze non-periodic signals?

Yes, the Fourier transform of electric susceptibility can be used to analyze both periodic and non-periodic signals. However, for non-periodic signals, the Fourier transform will produce a continuous frequency spectrum rather than discrete frequency components.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier transform of electric susceptibility?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Fourier transform of electric susceptibility. One limitation is that it assumes the signal is stationary, meaning that its properties do not change over time. Additionally, the Fourier transform may not accurately capture high-frequency components of a signal if the sampling rate is too low.