Low Cost Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, it is unclear why the voltage across the capacitor decreases after being disconnected from the constant 5V DC source. The capacitance is too small to function as a capacitor. There is something else going on.
roms05
Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me with my problem. I'm currently working on a low cost parallel plate capacitor. I used a galvanized iron as the plate material since this is a low cost material. The problem is when I measure the voltage across the capacitor, the voltage read peaks at a certain reading and then continuously decreases. I know the voltage is dependent on the capacitance but i still don't know why this decrease in volts happens. please help. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

What insulation material are you using? What source are you charging this from? What are you using to monitor the voltage? What area of parallel plates do you have?

The voltmeter continuously takes current from the plates, so the capacitor voltage will inevitably be seen to slowly fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. I forgot about the details. Sorry about that.
I used an insulating varnish on the plates. I'm using a constant 5V DC source. I used a digital multimeter to measure the voltage. And the area is 1m x 1inch so it's like 1x0.0254 m squared.

So, it charges to 5V, then after you disconnect the source the voltmeter reading steadily falls back towards 0V?

That is not much capacitance. You should dismantle a cylindrical polyester capacitor to see what area and close spacing commercial products use.

Actually, that's what puzzles me. The 5V DC source is constant and i don't unplug it. But still, the voltage still drops.

And hey, by the way, thanks for replying. :)

Have you connected the DVM in series with the capacitor, or in parallel??

In parallel.

If the supply stays fixed at 5V, and you say the voltmeter reading drops, then it sounds like you have the meter connecting the capacitor to the supply, and not in parallel.

I swear I'm reading the voltage in parallel. :(

Take a photo of the layout. Reduce it to about 50kB, attach it here.

I don't have a pic of the setup with me. But I promise I know if it's connected in series or parallel. And i measure the voltage across the capacitor in parallel. And just to add, I'm using water as the dielectric material between the plates. So there's a portion of the capacitor that has water as dielectric material and the remaining with air as its dielectric material.

Why don't you try it without the water?

In any case, its capacitance is too small to function as a capacitor here. There is something else going on. What does the DVM reading do after you disconnect the 5V supply?

When I tried it without water, the voltage across the capacitor is 5V and constant.
With water, if I disconnect it from the source, the decrease in voltage just goes faster. With constant 5V source, the decrease in voltage happens but slower.
Do you think the small capacitance is a factor why this happens?

roms05 said:
When I tried it without water, the voltage across the capacitor is 5V and constant.
With water, if I disconnect it from the source, the decrease in voltage just goes faster. With constant 5V source, the decrease in voltage happens but slower.
Do you think the small capacitance is a factor why this happens?
you do understand water is a conductor don't you ?
its likely its just shorting out the capacitor

Dave

davenn said:
you do understand water is a conductor don't you ?
its likely its just shorting out the capacitor

Dave

I realized that. That's why I used an insulating varnish on the plates.

OK but you shouldn't be using water anywhere near them
there may be gaps in your varnish layers

as NascentOxygen says in a post a way back ... this is a really small capacitance you are dealing with
only a few pF ( picoFarad) lots of things in you setup will have a significant effect on measurements etc

we all REALLY need pics to see what you are doing ...
else its just a guessing game, which no one likes to play

Dave

Last edited:
davenn said:
OK but you should be using water anywhere near them
there may be gaps in your varnish layers

as NascentOxygen says in a post a way back ... this is a really small capacitance you are dealing with
only a few pF ( picoFarad) lots of things in you setup will have a significant effect on measurements etc

we all REALLY need pics to see what you are doing ...
else its just a guessing game, which no one likes to play

Dave

I understand. And I'm really sorry for not providing any images of the setup. Also, I am very grateful for your responses. :)
When I get the chance to take a pic of the setup, i will post it here. Probably next week when classes are back from the lent holidays.

Likes davenn

1. What is a low cost parallel plate capacitor?

A low cost parallel plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel conducting plates separated by a dielectric material. It is a simple and cost-effective device used for storing electrical energy.

2. How does a low cost parallel plate capacitor work?

A low cost parallel plate capacitor works by storing electrical energy in the form of an electric field between the two conducting plates. When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate becomes positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them.

3. What are the advantages of using a low cost parallel plate capacitor?

There are several advantages to using a low cost parallel plate capacitor, including its simplicity, low cost, and high capacitance. It is also easy to manufacture and can be used in a wide range of electronic applications.

4. What are the limitations of a low cost parallel plate capacitor?

One of the main limitations of a low cost parallel plate capacitor is its low voltage rating. It is also more susceptible to temperature and humidity changes, which can affect its performance. Additionally, it is not suitable for high-frequency applications due to its high parasitic capacitance.

5. How do you calculate the capacitance of a low cost parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a low cost parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. The larger the area and smaller the distance, the higher the capacitance will be.