Low Jerk Elevator Ride: max speed & acceleration

In summary: T, 2T]## (giving us a negative term), thus giving us:$$v(t) = v_{max} + \int_T^t a(t') dt'$$where ##v_{max} = \int_0^T a(t) dt##Is that correct?How do we write the most general expression for ##v(t)##? I'm confused because acceleration is piecewise defined. Should we integrate the first part of the acceleration function from ##0## to ##T## (giving us ##v_{max}##), then add the integral of the second part of the acceleration function from ##T## to ##t## where ##t## lies in the interval
PFuser1232

Homework Statement

For a smooth (“low jerk”) ride, an elevator is programmed to start from rest and accelerate according to

$$a(t) = \frac{a_m}{2}[1 − \cos{\frac{2\pi t}{T}}] \:\:\:\:0 ≤ t ≤ T$$

$$a(t) = -\frac{a_m}{2}[1 − \cos{\frac{2\pi t}{T}}] \:\:\:\:T ≤ t ≤ 2T$$

Where ##a_m## is the maximum acceleration and ##2T## is the total time for the trip.

(a) Draw sketches of ##a(t)## and the jerk as functions of time.
(b) What is the elevator’s maximum speed?
(c) Find an approximate expression for the speed at short times near the start of the ride, ##t ≪ T##.

2. Homework Equations

##j = \dot{a} = \ddot{v}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The sketch required for part (a) is trivial, so I won't go over the details of the two sketches.
Now, for part (b), I found the value of ##t## for which the acceleration is zero, and used integration to find the velocity (or rather, maximum velocity) at that value of ##t##. The problem is, there's more than one value of ##t## for which the acceleration of the elevator is zero. In fact, the acceleration is zero at ##t = 0## inspite of the fact that ##v(0) = 0##. I feel like I have made some kind of error somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if you plot the speed as a function of time? That might help with your intuition and your confusion about maximums and so on.

Remember that a full plot of a function includes things like maximums, minimums, zeroes, and inflection points.

DEvens said:
Maybe if you plot the speed as a function of time? That might help with your intuition and your confusion about maximums and so on.

Remember that a full plot of a function includes things like maximums, minimums, zeroes, and inflection points.

##a(t) = 0## implies maximum speed (maximum/minimum velocity), right? Why am I getting a contradiction for ##t = 0##?

MohammedRady97 said:
##a(t) = 0## implies maximum speed (maximum/minimum velocity), right? Why am I getting a contradiction for ##t = 0##?
At time t=0 the elevator starts from rest. You don't expect it to suddenly jump to maximum speed instantaneously, right?

Did you sketch the acceleration profile (say for the first acceleration formula)? Does the acceleration ever change sign through the acceleration phase?

Do you expect the elevator to attain maximum speed before or after all the acceleration has taken place?

gneill said:
At time t=0 the elevator starts from rest. You don't expect it to suddenly jump to maximum speed instantaneously, right?

Did you sketch the acceleration profile (say for the first acceleration formula)? Does the acceleration ever change sign through the acceleration phase?

Do you expect the elevator to attain maximum speed before or after all the acceleration has taken place?

I did plot acceleration as a function of time, it didn't change signs through the first phase. I guess my question is more of a calculus question; doesn't ##f'(a) = 0## imply that ##f## has a maximum/minimum value when evaluated at ##a##?

MohammedRady97 said:
I did plot acceleration as a function of time, it didn't change signs through the first phase. I guess my question is more of a calculus question; doesn't ##f'(a) = 0## imply that ##f## has a maximum/minimum value when evaluated at ##a##?
That's the case unless it's a saddle point. Use the second derivative test to confirm max or min. Here it should be clear from the physical scenario whether you have max or min when t = 0 or t = T.

Likes PFuser1232
gneill said:
That's the case unless it's a saddle point. Use the second derivative test to confirm max or min. Here it should be clear from the physical scenario whether you have max or min when t = 0 or t = T.

What about ##t = 2T##?

MohammedRady97 said:
What about ##t = 2T##?
T = 2T corresponds to the time when the elevator has been brought to rest.

Your first a(t) expression describes taking the elevator from rest to its "cruising" speed, while the second a(t) expression describes slowing the elevator from cruising speed back to rest. That's why the second expression is negative: it's a deceleration.

gneill said:
T = 2T corresponds to the time when the elevator has been brought to rest.

Your first a(t) expression describes taking the elevator from rest to its "cruising" speed, while the second a(t) expression describes slowing the elevator from cruising speed back to rest. That's why the second expression is negative: it's a deceleration.

So I should find the velocity at time ##T## by integration as follows:

$$v(T) = v(0) + \int_0^T a(t) dt = \int_0^T a(t) dt$$

For part (c), I could use integration again to find velocity as a function of time, which would yield the sum of a linear term and a sinusoidal term. Would the small angle approximation be appropriate in that case?

MohammedRady97 said:
For part (c), I could use integration again to find velocity as a function of time, which would yield the sum of a linear term and a sinusoidal term. Would the small angle approximation be appropriate in that case?
Since they indicate the conditions for that would be met, I would say so.

haruspex said:
Since they indicate the conditions for that would be met, I would say so.
$$v(t) = \int_0^t a(t') dt' = \int_0^t [\frac{a_m}{2} - \frac{a_m}{2}\cos{\frac{2\pi t'}{T}}] dt' = \frac{a_m}{2} t - \frac{a_m}{2} \frac{T}{2\pi} \sin{\frac{2\pi t}{T}} = \frac{a_m}{2} t - \frac{a_m T}{4\pi} \sin{\frac{2\pi t}{T}}$$

For very small ##t##, the second term becomes approximately equal to the first term (by the small angle approximation), so ##v(t) ≈ 0##

Is there another way to find an approximation to ##v(t)## for very small ##t##?

MohammedRady97 said:
For very small ##t##, the second term becomes approximately equal to the first term (by the small angle approximation), so ##v(t) ≈ 0##
So include the next term in the expansion of sin().

Likes PFuser1232
haruspex said:
So include the next term in the expansion of sin().

How do we write the most general expression for ##v(t)##? I'm confused because acceleration is piecewise defined. Should we integrate the first part of the acceleration function from ##0## to ##T## (giving us ##v_{max}##), then add the integral of the second part of the acceleration function from ##T## to ##t## where ##t## lies in the interval ##[0,2T]##?

MohammedRady97 said:
How do we write the most general expression for ##v(t)##? I'm confused because acceleration is piecewise defined. Should we integrate the first part of the acceleration function from ##0## to ##T## (giving us ##v_{max}##), then add the integral of the second part of the acceleration function from ##T## to ##t## where ##t## lies in the interval ##[0,2T]##?
Yes. The full description of v(t) is likely to involve separation into the two time ranges, just as it did for the acceleration.

haruspex said:
Yes. The full description of v(t) is likely to involve separation into the two time ranges, just as it did for the acceleration.

So to find the distance ##D## traveled by the elevator in time ##2T## I would have to integrate the velocity function (which itself is split into two integrals; one from ##0## to ##T## and the other from ##T## to ##t##) from ##0## to ##2T##.

MohammedRady97 said:
So to find the distance ##D## traveled by the elevator in time ##2T## I would have to integrate the velocity function (which itself is split into two integrals; one from ##0## to ##T## and the other from ##T## to ##t##) from ##0## to ##2T##.
Yes.

Related to Low Jerk Elevator Ride: max speed & acceleration

1. What is the maximum speed of a low jerk elevator ride?

The maximum speed of a low jerk elevator ride is typically around 2 meters per second. This is slower than traditional elevators, which can reach speeds of up to 10 meters per second.

2. How does a low jerk elevator ride differ from a traditional elevator ride?

A low jerk elevator ride is designed to minimize the discomfort and potential health risks associated with sudden changes in acceleration. This is achieved by gradually increasing and decreasing the speed of the elevator, rather than sudden stops and starts.

3. What is the acceleration rate of a low jerk elevator ride?

The acceleration rate of a low jerk elevator ride is typically around 0.3 meters per second squared. This is much lower than traditional elevators, which can have acceleration rates of up to 3 meters per second squared.

4. Are there any benefits to using a low jerk elevator ride?

Yes, there are several benefits to using a low jerk elevator ride. These include reduced discomfort for passengers, decreased risk of motion sickness, and potential health benefits for individuals with conditions that may be exacerbated by sudden changes in acceleration.

5. How does a low jerk elevator ride impact energy consumption?

A low jerk elevator ride typically requires more energy to operate compared to traditional elevators. This is because the gradual changes in speed require the elevator to constantly use energy to maintain a steady rate of acceleration. However, the potential health benefits for passengers may outweigh the increased energy consumption.