LPG Leaks: Why We Can Smell It & What Compound Is Mixed?

• Thread starter John Dalton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: Instead, people here offer ways to figure out the answer, or ask for help finding the answer.In summary, this is a forum where people offer help, not give answers.
John Dalton
Although LPG is a odourless gas , why can we smell it when it leaks?
If possible,give the name of the smelling compound that is mixed with LPG?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
John Dalton said:
Although LPG is a odourless gas , why can we smell it when it leaks?
If possible,give the name of the smelling compound that is mixed with LPG?
Have you made the slightest effort to look this up? I think you may have misunderstood the point of PF. We are not one of those Q&A sites where you just ask a question and get an answer. Here you are expect to make some effort on your own, and I found this question to be trivially easy to get an answer to.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/little-excuse-ask-question-cold/

Yes,I got the terms and conditions.
Actually this is my first day,so hopefully you will apologize.

John Dalton said:
Yes,I got the terms and conditions.
Actually this is my first day,so hopefully you will apologize.
No, I will no apologize. I stated a fact. If you don't like the fact, or if you don't like my post, there is a "report" button which you can use to complain to a moderator about my behavior. Did you read the link I provided? It explains why I posted what I did.

I read that link.I am very a shameful for what I did.
Please beg me pardon.

John Dalton said:
I read that link.I am very a shameful for what I did.
Please beg me pardon.
It's not a problem, I just wanted to make sure you understand what forum you have joined. This is a FANTASTICALLY good forum, it's just not one of those Q&A forums. People here don't give answers so much as try to help people figure out how to get answers on their own. In fact if you read the forum rules (and you should since this is one of the forums where they actually matter) you will see that for things like math problems, giving an answer is against the rules.

Related to LPG Leaks: Why We Can Smell It & What Compound Is Mixed?

1. Why is LPG odorized?

LPG, or liquefied petroleum gas, is often odorless in its natural form. To make it detectable in the event of a leak, an odorant is added to give it a distinct smell.

2. What is the compound used to odorize LPG?

The most commonly used compound for odorizing LPG is ethyl mercaptan, which has a strong, unpleasant smell similar to rotten eggs.

3. How can we smell LPG leaks?

Since LPG is odorized, we can detect leaks by the distinct smell of the odorant. This is a safety measure to alert us of potential leaks.

4. What should I do if I smell a LPG leak?

If you smell a LPG leak, leave the area immediately and call your local gas company or emergency services. Do not try to locate the source of the leak or use any open flames or electrical devices.

5. Is the odorant in LPG harmful?

The odorant used in LPG is not harmful in small amounts, but it can cause irritation if exposed to large quantities. It is important to address any LPG leaks promptly to avoid prolonged exposure to the odorant.