Lyman-##\alpha## Wavelength: Hydrogen's Region in Spectrum

• I
  • Thread starter tryingtolearn1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses the Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength for hydrogen and the region in the spectrum that it falls under. It is determined to be in the UV range, specifically at 121.6 nm. The visible part of the spectrum, between 400 and 800 nm, is known as the Balmer series which shows transitions between different energy states of hydrogen. The conversation also mentions a logarithmic scale with visible wavelengths labeled for further understanding.
tryingtolearn1
TL;DR Summary
Lyman wavelength
I am learning about the hydrogen atom and in my book it discusses the Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength and I am wondering in what region in the spectrum is the Lyman-##\alpha## for hydrogen?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's UV. The visible part of the spectrum (##\lambda## between about 400 and 800 nm) is the Balmer series, i.e., transitions between ##n>2## and ##n=2## hydron energy states.

Likes tryingtolearn1
vanhees71 said:
I think it's UV. The visible part of the spectrum (##\lambda## between about 400 and 800 nm) is the Balmer series, i.e., transitions between ##n>2## and ##n=2## hydron energy states.
Concur. This pictures from right to left the visible Balmer series of Hydrogen:
1605699464736.png

and this pictures the Hydrogen spectra on a logarithmic scale with visible wavelengths labeled:

1605699650360.png

Likes tryingtolearn1 and vanhees71

What is the Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength?

The Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength is a specific wavelength of light that is emitted by hydrogen atoms when their electrons transition from the n=2 energy level to the n=1 energy level. It falls within the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum and has a wavelength of approximately 121.6 nanometers.

Why is the Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength important in science?

The Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength is important because it is a key component in understanding the structure of atoms and the behavior of light. It was first observed by Theodore Lyman in 1906 and played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and the Bohr model of the atom.

How is the Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength calculated?

The Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which is given by 1/λ = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2), where λ is the wavelength, R is the Rydberg constant, and n1 and n2 are the initial and final energy levels, respectively. For the Lyman-##\alpha## transition, n1=2 and n2=1.

What other elements exhibit the Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength?

The Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength is primarily associated with hydrogen atoms, but other elements can also exhibit this wavelength under certain conditions. For example, deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen) and helium can emit Lyman-##\alpha## radiation in the laboratory or in astrophysical environments.

How is the Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength used in astronomy?

The Lyman-##\alpha## wavelength is used in astronomy to study the composition and physical properties of distant objects in the universe. By analyzing the Lyman-##\alpha## emission from galaxies, stars, and interstellar gas, scientists can gain insights into the formation and evolution of these objects.