Machine learning / AI - Where do I start?

In summary, the conversation discusses a programming novice with minimal knowledge of C, Python, and Java who wants to eventually get into AI and machine learning. They have been learning coding aimlessly and working on Project Euler. They ask for advice on where to start with computer science and what languages to learn to reach their goal. The response recommends Andrew Ng's course on Machine Learning on Coursera, with prerequisites being programming experience, linear algebra, and some calculus. The course is taught in MATLAB/Octave, but the syntax is not difficult if one has knowledge of other languages.
CrazyNeutrino
I am a programming novice with minimal knowledge of C, Python and Java that I've taught myself from books and videos. Eventually I'd like to get into AI and machine learning but I have no idea where to start. Thus far, the minimal coding I've learned has been rather aimless with no specific purpose except for working on Project Euler. Where do I start with computer science, what languages should I learn and what should I work on to reach this goal? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Python is certainly a great option. I'd highly recommend Andrew Ng's course on Machine Learning on Coursera. Prerequisites, in my opinion, are these: 1. Some programming experience. 2. Linear Algebra. 3. Some calculus is helpful (especially optimization techniques). Andrew Ng's course is, in my opinion, very well-pitched for an introduction to machine learning. Note that he teaches the course in MATLAB/Octave. The syntax is not difficult if you have a smattering of languages already.

Likes stoomart

1. What is machine learning and artificial intelligence?

Machine learning is a subset of artificial intelligence that involves creating algorithms and models that can learn and make decisions on their own based on data. Artificial intelligence refers to the broader concept of creating intelligent machines that can think and act like humans.

2. How do I get started with learning machine learning and AI?

To get started with learning machine learning and AI, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and programming. You can enroll in online courses or attend workshops and conferences to learn the basics. It is also important to practice by working on projects and experimenting with different algorithms.

3. What are the programming languages used in machine learning and AI?

Some popular programming languages used in machine learning and AI are Python, R, Java, and C++. Each language has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it is important to choose one that best suits your project and your skillset.

4. What are some common applications of machine learning and AI?

Machine learning and AI have a wide range of applications, including natural language processing, computer vision, fraud detection, recommendation systems, and autonomous vehicles. They are also used in industries such as healthcare, finance, and marketing to improve decision making and efficiency.

5. What are the ethical considerations in machine learning and AI?

As with any technology, there are ethical considerations to keep in mind when working with machine learning and AI. These include issues of bias, transparency, and accountability. It is important for data scientists and AI developers to be aware of these concerns and strive to create fair and responsible systems.