Maclaurin Series for e^x Example

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding a corresponding summation for the function x^2(e^(3x^2) - 1). They have substituted x for 3x^2 in their summation, but are unsure how to incorporate the -1 term in the expression. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that the corresponding series is \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{3^nx^{2n+2}}{n!}, starting with n=1 due to the subtraction of 1.
ISITIEIW
Hey Guys!
I'm stick on this question,
I know that the summation of n=0 to infinity for x^n/n! equals e^x

In the question it wants me to come up with a corresponding summation for the function x^2(e^(3x^2) - 1) … I don't know how to manipulate it to get the -1. I know i can substitute x for 3x^2 which would make my summation (3x^(2n))/n!. But I'm stuck after this point.

Thanks,
ISITIEIW

Physics news on Phys.org
ISITIEIW said:
In the question it wants me to come up with a corresponding summation for the function x^2(e^(3x^2) - 1) … I don't know how to manipulate it to get the -1. I know i can substitute x for 3x^2 which would make my summation (3x^(2n))/n!.
It should be $\dfrac{(3x^2)^n}{n!}=\dfrac{3^nx^{2n}}{n!}$. But the first term is still 1...

Right, so now I have e^(3x^2) = (3^n)(x^2n)/n! … what do i do to incorporate this negative 1 in the expression? x^2(e^3x^2 - 1)?

I am saying that the first term of the series is still 1:
\[
e^{3x^2}=1+3x^2+\frac{(3x^2)^2}{2}+\dots
\]
So, in $e^{3x^2}-1$ this 1 cancels.

OH lol,

So then the corresponding series would be (x^2(3^n)(x^2n))/n!
which equals ((x^2n+2)3^n)/n! ?

ISITIEIW said:
So then the corresponding series would be (x^2(3^n)(x^2n))/n!
which equals ((x^2n+2)3^n)/n! ?
First, be careful with operation priorities: x^2n+2 is likely to be parsed as $x^{2n}+2$ or even $x^2n+2$. In plain text, $x^{2n+2}$ can be written as x^(2n+2). Second, the series is
\[
\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{3^nx^{2n+2}}{n!}
\]
The fact that is starts with $n=1$ and not $n=0$ is due to subtracting 1.

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of power series expansion that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is named after the Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

2. How is the Maclaurin series for e^x derived?

The Maclaurin series for e^x is derived by taking the Taylor series expansion of e^x at x=0, and simplifying it by setting x=0 in all the derivatives of e^x. This results in the simplified form of 1 + x + (x^2)/2! + (x^3)/3! + ...

3. Why is the Maclaurin series for e^x important?

The Maclaurin series for e^x is important because it allows us to approximate the value of e^x for any given value of x. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is the degree of accuracy of the Maclaurin series for e^x?

The degree of accuracy of the Maclaurin series for e^x depends on the number of terms used in the expansion. The more terms that are included, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Can the Maclaurin series for e^x be used for negative values of x?

Yes, the Maclaurin series for e^x can be used for negative values of x as well. In this case, the series will be alternating, and the degree of accuracy will depend on the number of terms used in the expansion.