Maclaurin series for f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2))

In summary, the Maclaurin series for f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2)) is a series of terms which sums to 1-2*SUM(0-infinity)(1*x^n+2). However, if you subtract the series from 1, the first term becomes 1-1=0, so instead of going from 0 to infinity, it goes from 1 to infinity.
christian0710
Hi I'm studying for an upcoming exam and I have to find the Maclaurin series for f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2))
And I got to admit i feel stuck.

I know i need to find the terms f(0) +f'(0) +f''(0)/2 etc.

Frist of all I can't find the first derivative f´(x) because my TI89 calculater comes up with a Dimension error.
Sexond: As an alternative I really can't see which other known function/series i could use to substitute the function into.

Please help me out - I'd appreciate it a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you not expected to be able to calculate the derivative of that function by hand? Because it's a simple application of the quotient rule.

As far as calculating the Maclaurin series, can you calculate the series for
[tex] \frac{1}{1+x^2} ?[/tex]
Because this is a good place to start.

christian0710 said:
Hi I'm studying for an upcoming exam and I have to find the Maclaurin series for f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2))
And I got to admit i feel stuck.

I know i need to find the terms f(0) +f'(0) +f''(0)/2 etc.

Frist of all I can't find the first derivative f´(x) because my TI89 calculater comes up with a Dimension error.
Sexond: As an alternative I really can't see which other known function/series i could use to substitute the function into.

Please help me out - I'd appreciate it a lot!
Are you saying that you don't know how to determine the derivative of this function by hand? Have you learned how to take the derivative of a quotient?

#2 That is like the geometric series 1/(1-x) which is SUM(1*x^n)
So the sereis for 1/(1+x^2) would be an alternating series and if you substitue x^2 the series would be:
SUM(-1)^n*X^(n +1) Right'?

It's the top part of the fraction which confuses me :(

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that you don't know how to determine the derivative of this function by hand? Have you learned how to take the derivative of a quotient?

Yes It's (f/g`= ((1-x^2)'(1+x^2) -(1+x^2)'(a-x^2))/(1+x^2)^2 But i doubt i'd have to do all that in my head and differentiate it multiple times like that in an exam situation? seems to take a long time.

christian0710 said:
#2 That is like the geometric series 1/(1-x) which is SUM(1*x^n)
So the sereis for 1/(1+x^2) would be an alternating series and if you substitue x^2 the series would be:

You have the right idea, but you substituted x2 incorrectly.

Once you have that result correctly, notice that you are multiplying a Taylor series that you know by a polynomial, 1-x2. If someone asked you to calculate the Taylor series for xcos(x) you should be able to do it very quickly from the Taylor series of cos(x), the same principle applies here.

As for the derivative, you aren't expected to calculate it for this problem but it seemed odd that you felt you were stuck because you couldn't do it on your calculator.

Okay i'll try again :)
The geometric series is 1+x+(1/2)x^2 +(1/3!)*x^3 so if we substitute in x^2 we get 1+x^2 + (1/2)x^4 +(1/3!)*x^6 Right?

The sum should be SUM; M(-1)^n*X^(n +1) Right'?
Except i did the signs wrong :)

christian0710 said:
Yes It's (f/g`= ((1-x^2)'(1+x^2) -(1+x^2)'(a-x^2))/(1+x^2)^2 But i doubt i'd have to do all that in my head and differentiate it multiple times like that in an exam situation? seems to take a long time.
What's the big deal? Do it (on paper) and collect terms. See what you get. Then do it for f''. See if a pattern develops. Maybe you have to do only a few terms before you see the pattern. The suggestion of office shredder is also very good. His approach is related to the sum of a certain geometric progression. Can you guess the geometric progression involved?

Chet

christian0710 said:
That is like the geometric series 1/(1-x) which is SUM(1*x^n)

[tex]\frac{1-x^2}{1+x^2}=-\frac{(x^2+1)-2}{x^2+1}=1-2\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

1/(1+x2) is the sum of a geometric series. What is the quotient ?
ehild

Last edited:
So we get 1-2*SUM(0-infinity)(1*x^n+2) but if we subtract the series from 1 then the first term 1-1= 0 so instead of going from 0 to infinity it goes n goes from 1 to infinity?
Gosh, I don't know how I'm going to do those mathmatical manipulations as well as you for the exam.

I think i might be a bit unsure of what you mean by "what's the quotient"?

The sum of an infinite series with quotient q is

[tex]\sum _0 ^{\infty}{q^n}=\frac{1}{1-q}[/tex]

when |q<1|.

Compare [itex]\frac{1}{1-q}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex]. It can be written as [itex]\frac{1}{1-(-x^2)}[/itex]. So what corresponds to q?

ehild

You can also make a polynomial division :

1-x^2/1+x^2 gives 1 remains
-2x^2/1+x^2 gives -2x^2 remains
2x^4/1+x^2 gives 2x^4 remains
-2x^6 aso...

hence 1-x^2/1+x^2=1-2x^2+2x^4-2x^6+...

jk22 said:
You can also make a polynomial division :

1-x^2/1+x^2 gives 1 remains
-2x^2/1+x^2 gives -2x^2 remains
2x^4/1+x^2 gives 2x^4 remains
-2x^6 aso...

hence 1-x^2/1+x^2=1-2x^2+2x^4-2x^6+...

Use parentheses. What you wrote 1-x^2/1 + x^2 = 1-x^2+x^2=1.

ehild

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special type of Taylor series, named after mathematician Colin Maclaurin. It is a way to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial expression involving the derivatives of the function evaluated at a specific point (usually 0).

2. How is the Maclaurin series for f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2)) derived?

The Maclaurin series for a function is derived by taking the derivatives of the function at the chosen point and plugging them into the formula for a Taylor series. In this case, the derivatives of f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2)) at x=0 are evaluated and plugged into the formula to obtain the Maclaurin series.

3. What is the formula for the Maclaurin series of f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2))?

The formula for the Maclaurin series of f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2)) is:
f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2)) = 1 - x^2 + x^4 - x^6 + x^8 - x^10 + ... = ∑n=0 (-1)^n * x^(2n).

4. What is the interval of convergence for the Maclaurin series of f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2))?

The interval of convergence for the Maclaurin series of f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2)) is -1 ≤ x < 1. This means that the series will only converge for values of x within this interval. Outside of this interval, the series will either diverge or give a different value.

5. How accurate is the Maclaurin series approximation for f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2))?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin series approximation for f(x)= ((1-x^2)/(1+x^2)) depends on how many terms are used in the series. The more terms that are included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of the function. However, since the series is an infinite sum, it will never be an exact representation of the function.