Maclaurin Series Homework: Is My Solution Correct?

In summary: In general, derivatives will be more efficient than writing down the series for \sin(x) and substituting for x.
DevonZA

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-14_11-35-29.png

Note - I do not know why there is a .5 after the ampere. I think it is an error and I have asked my lecturer to clarify.

Homework Equations

upload_2016-9-14_11-36-20.png

The Attempt at a Solution

f(t)=sint2 f(0)=sin(0)2=0
f'(t)=2sintcost f'(0)=sin2(0)=0
f''(t)=2cos2t f''(0)=2cos2(0)=2
f'''(t)=-4sin2t f'''(0)=-4sin2(0)=0
fiv(t)=-8cos2t fiv(0)=-8cos(0)=-8

... until four non-zero terms

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing your differentials incorrectly...

[itex] i = \sin(t^2) [/itex], the first derivative is [itex] 2t\cdot\cos(t^2)[/itex]

Dr Transport said:
Doing your differentials incorrectly...

[itex] i = \sin(t^2) [/itex], the first derivative is [itex] 2t\cdot\cos(t^2)[/itex]

Thanks Doc.

The next derivative will then be:

upload_2016-9-14_15-44-20.png

right?

I have put in the 0 value up until the eighth term and I am still getting zero as the answer.
Only f''(t), f'''(t) and fvi have yielded non-zero terms thus far.

DevonZA said:
Thanks Doc.

The next derivative will then be:

View attachment 105906

right?

I have put in the 0 value up until the eighth term and I am still getting zero as the answer.
Only f''(t), f'''(t) and fvi have yielded non-zero terms thus far.

If you want the first four nonzero terms in the Maclauren expansion of ##f(t) = \sin(t^2)## you will need the first 14 derivatives of ##f##; that is, you will need
$$\left(\frac{d}{dt}\right)^k f(0), \; k=1, 2, \ldots, 14.$$

Ray Vickson said:
If you want the first four nonzero terms in the Maclauren expansion of ##f(t) = \sin(t^2)## you will need the first 14 derivatives of ##f##; that is, you will need
$$\left(\frac{d}{dt}\right)^k f(0), \; k=1, 2, \ldots, 14.$$

Hi Ray

I got another non-zero term at the fourth non zero term at the 10th derivative.

upload_2016-9-14_16-46-6.png

Plugging in zero values for x I get 60480

DevonZA said:
View attachment 105907

Plugging in zero values for x I get 60480

You will get another one at the 14th derivative.

It must be obvious by now that the way I did it was using some other approach!

Ray Vickson said:
You will get another one at the 14th derivative.

It must be obvious by now that the way I did it was using some other approach!

(d/dt) = 2t⋅cos(t2) ?

You can obtain the first four terms of the series for [itex]\sin(t^2)[/itex] simply by obtaining the first four terms in the series for [itex]\sin x[/itex] and substituting [itex]x = t^2[/itex].

Only if you have a more complicated function than [itex]at^n[/itex] as the argument, such as [itex]\sin(t + 3)[/itex] or [itex]\sin(e^t)[/itex], will calculating derivatives compete with "write down the series for [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] and substitute for [itex]x[/itex]" in efficiency.

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of infinite series that represents a function as a sum of polynomial terms. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

2. How do I know if my solution for a Maclaurin series homework is correct?

To determine if your solution is correct, you can check if it satisfies the conditions for a Maclaurin series. These conditions include the function being continuous and having derivatives of all orders at the center of expansion.

3. What is the center of expansion in a Maclaurin series?

The center of expansion in a Maclaurin series is the value of x for which the series is being evaluated. It is usually denoted as "a" and is often 0, which makes it a special case known as the Maclaurin series.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Maclaurin series homework?

One common mistake when solving Maclaurin series homework is forgetting to include the constant term in the series. It is important to remember that the Maclaurin series includes all the terms of the Taylor series, which includes the constant term.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving Maclaurin series homework?

To improve your understanding and skills in solving Maclaurin series homework, it is recommended to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or classmate if needed. Additionally, studying the concepts and properties of Maclaurin series and related topics can also help improve your skills.