Magnesium Pencil Sharpeners: Is It All Magnesium?

• Thread starter max6333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnesium
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magnesium in pencil sharpeners and the possibility of some sharpeners being made from magnesium alloy. The speaker also mentions conducting tests with vinegar and sanding off layers to determine the metal used, but concludes that further tests would be needed to accurately identify the metal.
max6333
As you may know , some pencil sharpeners are made from magnesium(the case).Now what I want to know is are they all made from magnesium?
upload_2014-11-29_12-55-45.jpeg
Near my house there are only these ones for sale.I got one and tested it with some vinegar.What hapened is that layer of it started peeling off.After the white grayish layer peeled of it revealed a dark greyish one.Does that mean its only magnesium plated?Or is it all magnesium?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I doubt pure magnesium is ever used. If anything, some magnesium alloy.

I know some use realtively pure magnesium, but I don't know if this one does. the sharpener in this one is pure as you may see.

I tried lightign the powder that i sanded off the sharpener and it didnt light, so I think its some other metal , can someone tell me which one?

There is not enough information - and I am afraid without much more elaborate tests (requiring reagents that you most likely don't have, or at least a strong acid and a reasonably accurate balance) you won't be able to determine the metal identity.

1. What are magnesium pencil sharpeners made of?

Magnesium pencil sharpeners are made primarily of magnesium, a chemical element with the symbol Mg. It is a lightweight, silvery-white metal that is commonly used in various products due to its high strength-to-weight ratio.

2. Is it safe to use a magnesium pencil sharpener?

Yes, it is safe to use a magnesium pencil sharpener. Magnesium is a non-toxic metal and is not harmful to humans. However, like any sharp object, caution should be taken when handling and using the sharpener to avoid injury.

3. How does a magnesium pencil sharpener compare to other types of sharpeners?

Magnesium pencil sharpeners are known for their durability and sharpness. They are often preferred by artists and professionals due to their ability to create a fine, precise point on pencils. They are also lightweight and easy to carry around, making them a popular choice for students and travelers.

4. Can you sharpen colored pencils with a magnesium sharpener?

Yes, you can sharpen colored pencils with a magnesium sharpener. However, some colored pencils may have a softer lead and may break more easily when sharpened with a magnesium sharpener. It is recommended to use a gentler touch when sharpening colored pencils to prevent breakage.

5. Are there any downsides to using a magnesium pencil sharpener?

One potential downside of using a magnesium pencil sharpener is that it may leave behind magnesium shavings on the pencil, which can get on your hands and potentially transfer to your artwork or documents. However, this can be easily solved by wiping the pencil clean with a cloth after sharpening.