Magnetic field produced at point P

In summary, the conversation revolves around deriving an expression for the magnetic field at point P due to a current-carrying wire in a specific configuration. One person is using the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the field, while another person is questioning the answer given in the instructor's manual. It is suggested that the person takes their solution to their instructor for clarification.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/gallery/vCOZq

Its question 26, and the figure can be seen at figure 30.26

Derive and expression for the magnetic field produced at point P due to the current carrying wire shown in figure 30.26. The curved parts of the wire are pieces of concentric circles. Point P is at the center.

Homework Equations

[itex] b = \mu IR^2 / (2)(R^2 +y^2)^{3/2} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so in the above eq setting y = 0, I get

[itex] b = - (\Theta /2pi) * ( \mu I /2R_1 )[/itex]
(\Theta /2pi) because we are only looking at a portion (\Theta /2pi) of a circle.
for the wire closest to the point P.

I say the magnetic field is going INSIDE the page at point p, which means -z axis, but my book is telling me the field is out of the page.

Is my book wrong here? I don't see how, using the simple right hand rule, the field could possibly be pointing out of the page.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
I don't see how, using the simple right hand rule, the field could possibly be pointing out of the page.
I don't see it either. The outer arc generates a field that is out of the page that is weaker because its radius is larger. The straight segments, of course, generate no field at point P.

kuruman said:
I don't see it either. The outer arc generates a field that is out of the page that is weaker because its radius is larger. The straight segments, of course, generate no field at point P.
Yup. And this answer is coming from the instructors manual for this book. Such a shame. Maybe someone will find the trick? (if there is one?)

Rijad Hadzic said:
Yup. And this answer is coming from the instructors manual for this book. Such a shame. Maybe someone will find the trick? (if there is one?)
You may wish to take your solution to your instructor and ask what's going on.

kuruman said:
You may wish to take your solution to your instructor and ask what's going on.
Yup that's what I'm going to have to do...

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is a magnetic field produced?

A magnetic field is produced when electric charges, such as electrons, move through a conductor. It can also be produced by permanent magnets or electromagnets.

3. What is the strength of the magnetic field at point P?

The strength of the magnetic field at point P depends on the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the source, and the orientation of the source relative to point P. It can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the source.

4. Can a magnetic field be shielded?

Yes, a magnetic field can be shielded using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or nickel. These materials can redirect the magnetic field lines away from the area that needs to be shielded.

5. What are the applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in magnetic levitation technology, data storage, and compasses for navigation.