Magnetic field strength between two wires

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of current in two wires in order to produce a non-zero magnetic field at the midpoint between them. It is determined that both currents must flow into the page with a counterclockwise direction in order for the fields to not cancel. The conversation then moves on to consider a general point on the line joining the two wires and a distance away from the midpoint. The equation for the magnetic field strength at this point is given as B = μo iD / PI (D^2 - d^2), and the conversation provides visual examples and prompts for finding the answer.
victoriafello
wire 1 has a current of 1A directed into the page, wire 2 is 20 cm to the right of wire 1 with a current of 1A, what direction does this current have to flow in order for the magnetic field strength at the mid point between them to be non zero ?

from the right hand rule the mag field from wire 1 would be counterclockwise around the wire so the current on wire 2 would have to be the same direction - into the page with a counterclockwise field other wise the fields would cancel

do i haev this correct & did i explain myself properly ? the next part of the Question depends on this answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The current into the page gives a clockwise field via the right hand rule, if I'm not mistaken. Draw a picture, I think you came up with the wrong conclusions.

thanks for pointing that out, i have drawn a picture of the wire and i can see now that the current is clockwise, so i think that the current in the other wise also needs to be into the page otehrwise they will cancel,

the next part of the question is -
Consider a general point on the line joining the two wires and a distance d away from the mid-point O. By summing the magnetic field due to currents of magnitude i flowing in both the wires in the senses you found.

show that, on the line joining the two wires, the magnetic field strength is given by
B= μo iD/ PI (D^2 − d^2 )

I know the equation is

B = μo i / 2*pi*d

and (D^2-d^2) can become (D+d)(D-d) but i don't know where to go from there

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Magnetic field strength between two wires

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field strength between two wires?

According to the Biot-Savart law, the formula for calculating the magnetic field strength (B) between two parallel wires is B = (μ0 * I) / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and r is the distance between the wires.

2. How does the current in the wires affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength between two wires is directly proportional to the current in the wires. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the wires, and it follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one wire, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength between two wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field strength decreases.

5. Can the magnetic field strength between two wires be zero?

Yes, the magnetic field strength between two wires can be zero if the wires have equal and opposite currents and are placed at an equal distance from a third wire carrying a current in the opposite direction. This is known as the zero-current case.