Magnetic fields/ force on conductors

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the value of magnetic field at a distance of 50cm from a long straight cable carrying a current of 1000A in air. The equations given are for finding the force due to the magnetic field, but the goal is to find the magnetic field itself. The conversation suggests looking for a different equation or using the Biot-Savart law to derive the value of B.
alice emily

Homework Statement

calculate a value for B at a distance of 50cm, in ,air, from a long straight cable carrying a current of 1000A.

Homework Equations

F=Bqv=BIl
I=q\t = qv/l
F=LIB

The Attempt at a Solution

i have not been able to calculate an answer as there are constantly two unknowns and i am unable o fine F.

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe the answer is 4 x 10 to the -4 telsa

You're being asked to find magnetic field and not force due to the magnetic field, right?

The equations you wrote allow you to find the force due to a magnetic field, once you already know what B is. However, right now you're trying to find B due to the current. You need a different equation, that's hopefully in your book that relates B and current I.

yeah johnj7 is right. You need the proper equation. Look in your textbook for an equation relating B to a current carrying wire. Check online as well. If you're desperate and have learned what is known as the Biot-Savart law, you can derive B from there.

Related to Magnetic fields/ force on conductors

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electrically charged particles and can be represented by lines of force that point in the direction of the magnetic force.

How do magnetic fields affect conductors?

Magnetic fields can exert a force on conductors, causing them to move or induce a current within them. The direction and magnitude of this force depends on the orientation and strength of the magnetic field, as well as the direction of the current within the conductor.

What is the right hand rule for determining the direction of the magnetic force on a conductor?

The right hand rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow within a conductor, the direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic force exerted on the conductor.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on a conductor?

The strength of the magnetic force on a conductor depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the conductor, the current flowing through it, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field lines.

How can magnetic fields be used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many practical uses, such as in electric motors and generators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in compasses for navigation and in credit cards for data storage.