Magnetic flux in a white dwarf

In summary, the sun has a rotational period of 25 days and a density of magnetic flux of 1 Gauss on its surface. When it shrinks to form a white dwarf with a radius of 10^3 km, the rotational period becomes 4.4 seconds. The magnetic flux of the white dwarf can be calculated by using the proportion: Flux_sun/R_sun^2 = Flux_WD/R_WD^2. However, the distribution of charge and resulting magnetic flux in a white dwarf may be different due to the dynamics of convection within stars. Further research or assumptions may be necessary to accurately calculate the magnetic flux of a white dwarf.
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

The sun has a rotational period of 25 days. Finding the rotational period if it can shrink to form a white dwarf (##R_{WD}=10^3Km##). Knowing that the density of magnetic flux of the Sun on the surface is ##1 Gauss##, finding the magnetic flux of the white dwarf.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I can use the conservation of momentum ##I_{sun}\omega_{sun}=I_{WD}\omega_{WD}## with ##I\propto MR^2## and also with the hypothesis that there is no loss of mass during the shrinking. I have found that the period is 4.4##s##. However, I do not know how to do the second part about the magnetic flux. Should not be the same? But I am not even sure about this conclusion which I see it has not a proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
How was flux computed for the sun? Is it related to the change in area from sun to white dwarf?

jedishrfu said:
How was flux computed for the sun? Is it related to the change in area from sun to white dwarf?

I do not know how the flux was computed for the sun, it is in the text of the exercise. If it is related to the change of area, I will make a proportion:
$$\frac{Flux_{sun}}{R_{sun}^2}=\frac{Flux_{WD}}{R_{WD}^2}$$

Aleolomorfo said:
I do not know how the flux was computed for the sun, it is in the text of the exercise. If it is related to the change of area, I will make a proportion:
$$\frac{Flux_{sun}}{R_{sun}^2}=\frac{Flux_{WD}}{R_{WD}^2}$$
The sun is a rotating ball of plasma. What is the distribution of charge in the sun? How much magnetic flux will be generated as a result of its rotation? Will the distribution of charge in a white dwarf be similar? It's time to do some research and/or make some assumptions.
EDIT: I am leaving out entirely the dynamics of convection within stars, which I think will dominate the magnetic fields of both M-class stars and white dwarves.

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic flux in a white dwarf?

Magnetic flux in a white dwarf refers to the measure of the magnetic field strength and its associated influence in the core of a white dwarf star. It is a measure of the total amount of magnetic field lines passing through a given surface area.

2. How is magnetic flux generated in a white dwarf?

Magnetic flux in a white dwarf is generated through the process of convective mixing and differential rotation within the star's core. As the star evolves and its core becomes more compact, the magnetic field intensity increases due to conservation of magnetic flux.

3. What is the significance of magnetic flux in a white dwarf?

Magnetic flux plays a crucial role in the evolution of a white dwarf star. It can affect the star's rotation rate, energy transfer, and overall stability. It also influences the star's ability to accrete matter from its surrounding environment and can lead to the formation of powerful magnetic fields.

4. How is magnetic flux measured in a white dwarf?

Magnetic flux in a white dwarf is measured using a technique called Zeeman-Doppler imaging, which uses the Doppler shift of spectral lines to map the magnetic field strength and distribution on the star's surface. This technique has provided valuable insights into the properties of magnetic fields in white dwarfs.

5. Can magnetic flux cause explosions in white dwarfs?

Yes, magnetic flux has been linked to the occurrence of explosions in white dwarfs, such as Type Ia supernovae. As the magnetic field lines become twisted and compressed, they can release a tremendous amount of energy, leading to a powerful explosion. However, more research is needed to fully understand the role of magnetic flux in these events.