Astrophysics: Simple magnetic field issues

In summary: However, for points outside the plane (like the Sun), the field will not be radial anymore and I'm not sure how to solve for the vector B in that case.
qftqed
Hello! I have an assignment question that is a proving a real stone in my shoe, mostly because it is reminding how little I can recall about electromagnetism. It is part of a series of questions leading to the calculation the Alfven radius, where the solar wind decouples from the Sun's magnetic field.

Homework Statement

Write down the equation for magnetic energy density. How does this change with radius [from the sun], assuming that the magnetic B field is purely radial?

Homework Equations

Magnetic energy density u=B2/2μ

The Attempt at a Solution

I really feel like this ought to decrease with radius, but I don't know how. The real issue is that I've not the slightest idea of where to start on working this out. The geometry of the field is not sitting well with me, when I read 'purely radial' I think field lines directed from the center outwards, which seems like something Gauss's law for magnetism would have a fit over. The magnetic field strength should be inversely proportional to the radius, I suspect. It seems my lack of familiarity with electromagnetism has finally come to collect! I would be overjoyed if someone could lend me a hand with this (=

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Do you know what the letters in your equation stand for?
Do you have notes for what the magnetic field of the Sun looks like?

Hello there, thanks for the speedy reply! We've not been given details on the geometry of the magnetic field, only the words 'purely radial'. I do know what the equation means, and in fact I think (hope) I'm making some progress. I've decided B2 is better off being written as a dot product of the vector B with itself, and from there I've thought I should try to solve div(B)=0 in spherical coordinates, interpreting 'purely radial' to mean that only the r component has a non-zero derivative or something to that effect. Having found the vector B in that way I can substitute that into the expression for energy density and hopefully get something meaningful. Would I be on the right track at all?

"purely radial" will mean that B is a function of r alone.
So you can write: ##\vec B = B(r)\hat r##.

Excellent! Thanks, I'm quite sure I can work with this.

Actually - looking at how a dipole works, it should be ##\vec B = B(r)\hat k## choosing the z-axis to point the same way as the dipole, and the origin at the center, this will work for points in the x-y plane.

Related to Astrophysics: Simple magnetic field issues

1. What is a magnetic field in astrophysics?

A magnetic field in astrophysics refers to the region in space where magnetic forces are present. It is created by the movement of charged particles, such as protons and electrons, and can have a significant impact on the behavior of celestial objects and phenomena.

2. How is a magnetic field measured in astrophysics?

In astrophysics, magnetic fields are typically measured using a unit called Gauss. This unit measures the strength of the magnetic field in terms of the force it exerts on a unit of electric charge. Another commonly used unit is Tesla, which is equivalent to 10,000 Gauss.

3. What are the effects of magnetic fields on celestial bodies?

Magnetic fields in astrophysics can have a variety of effects on celestial bodies. For example, they can influence the formation and movement of stars and planets, as well as the behavior of charged particles in space. Magnetic fields can also cause phenomena such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections.

4. How do scientists study magnetic fields in astrophysics?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study magnetic fields in astrophysics. These include telescopes that can detect different wavelengths of light, such as radio waves and X-rays, which can reveal the presence and behavior of magnetic fields. Computer simulations and mathematical models are also used to study and understand magnetic fields in space.

5. Can magnetic fields in astrophysics be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control magnetic fields in astrophysics. However, scientists continue to study and research ways to harness and use magnetic fields for various purposes, such as protecting astronauts from harmful radiation during space travel.